Need Help With Choosing Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hghstakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my MCAT, 33R (12PS 11BS 10VR) and GPA (3.91cPGA and 3.95sGPA) solidified at a top 25 undergrad school and LOR's are really good and have 1 full year of research experience (10-20 hrs a week) under the belt (2 undergraduate grants and 1 poster presentation at multi-school conference) with a seniors thesis upcoming this next year. Asian Indian. All of my volunteering (300+ clinical and nonclinical), shadowing (80 hours with 5 specialties) and extracurriculars (leadership in student org's as well as school administration boards and committee's) are great. What are some schools I should be looking at? I'm not going to give my state since I will apply to those schools already but what are some privates that match up with my numbers stats? How accurate is the Lizzy school selector thing at predicting outcomes?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have my MCAT, 33R (12PS 11BS 10VR) and GPA (3.91cPGA and 3.95sGPA) solidified at a top 25 undergrad school and LOR's are really good and have 1 full year of research experience (10-20 hrs a week) under the belt (2 undergraduate grants and 1 poster presentation at multi-school conference) with a seniors thesis upcoming this next year. Asian Indian. All of my volunteering (300+ clinical and nonclinical), shadowing (80 hours with 5 specialties) and extracurriculars (leadership in student org's as well as school administration boards and committee's) are great. What are some schools I should be looking at? I'm not going to give my state since I will apply to those schools already but what are some privates that match up with my numbers stats? How accurate is the Lizzy school selector thing at predicting outcomes?

Honestly you can apply anywhere and have a shot at acceptance if your ECs, volunteering, etc. are as great as you say they are. Although your mcat is a few below the average for the top ivy schools, your gpa is sick so this may make up for those few points (obviously a 33 is a great score regardless). You should be fine. Just apply early and make sure your personal statement/secondary essays are great.

Okay thanks for the feedback...it's weird I thought my MCAT wasn't that great but my professors have said the same thing as you just did so I'm feeling a bit more confident.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.91/33:
Besides applying to any appropriate state or regional schools, with your LizzyM score, consider researching some of these schools to see if their mission, weather, safety, curriculum and cost match what you're looking for:

LizzyM Score is [MCAT score + (cGPA X 10)] + 1 = 73. Helps predict interview offers.
[School's score (using median acceptee stats) doesn't include the +1.]

(X%)=% matriculants that are from OOS.

76/Wash U (88%), UChicago (66%)
75/Harvard (82%), Hopkins (78%),Yale (82%), Northwestern (75%),
74/Stanford (51%), UMichigan (52%), Columbia (71%), Mt Sinai (65%), Cornell (65%), Duke (87%), Pitt (72%), Vanderbilt (76%), Baylor (21%),
73/Mayo (69%), Case (80%), UVirginia (41%), UTSW (16%),
72/Emory (65%), Dartmouth (85%), NYU (60%), Ohio State (41%), UCSF (20%)
71/UCF (24%), USC (28%), Boston (77%), Tufts (73%), SLU (70%), Einstein (52%), Rochester (52%),

Yes, 33 MCAT is quite nice. You're in a good position. Just apply geographically, and not to too many 'reaches'. Don't want all your eggs in one basket, as they say. You appear to have a nicely competitive application though...enjoy the interviews.

Thanks guys. I wonder if it matters that I'm applying straight out as I see most schools seem to have average ages of 23-25 (meaning 1-3 years off).

Also, is there a thread where people that have gotten into medical schools post what their stat's were for us to kinda understand a gauge of what type of student schools go for?

Thanks guys. I wonder if it matters that I'm applying straight out as I see most schools seem to have average ages of 23-25 (meaning 1-3 years off).

Also, is there a thread where people that have gotten into medical schools post what their stat's were for us to kinda understand a gauge of what type of student schools go for?
Applying straight out is fine, if you have the proper experiences.

Your best gauge of stats a given school is looking for would be the MSAR (Medical School Application Requirements) book available in your prehealth advising office or for sale through the AMCAS website or amazon.com. This book has the median stats for acceptees along with the 10th and 90th percentile for each category.

Yah man, you're golden! Although your MCAT is not as high as the ivy league schools' median accepted (based on the MSAR) this doesn't mean you don't have any chance at them. The score reported in the MSAR is the median ACCEPTED which often differs from the median MATRICULATED. Schools will obviously admit many more applicants with super crazy numbers. But, in the end, people with MCAT's like yours (very strong but not ridiculous) end up going to those schools, especially with your EC's. Every applicant can stand to beef up their EC's though, so if there is something you have always wanted to do before being confined by school do it NOW. Take a year off, volunteer overseas, work a full time job in a lab, join the peace corp...possibilities are endless. No one will fault you for wanting to get started now though, thats for sure.

Thanks for the reassurances everyone. It's kind of making me blush as I don't consider myself a "star" and that's what you all are making it to be. I'm still going to remain humble through all this b/c I know how much of a crap-shoot admissions are nowadays but this helps boost my confidence a little.

I didn't know that the MSAR is median ACCEPTED not matriculated so that helps ease some worries about the MCAT score.

Oh yeah, I plan to go back-packing across Europe right after graduation and before medical school starts (1 and a half months or so) so as to destress before hell breaks loose again.

Also, let's say that I'm not an URM with respects to race but I am with economically (family of 4 income was $35-40K for majority of 0-18 life)/geographically (rural town) disadvantaged. Does that still qualify me as URM?