May 30, 2012
Minnesota
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi All,

I have a concern about what BS degree i should achieve by the end of 2013, My plan is to apply dental schools by 2014. I dont know if that is possible to do. I have a 2 years degree in dental hygiene, and currently i am at a community college taking the pre-reqs for dental school. Some of my friends told me to get BS in biology because many dental students do, but i dont like calculus and i think it will take me another couple of years to finish. On the other hand, I was thinking about BS in dental hygiene since I have some background and its completely online. However, my advisor told me that I shouldnt waste time in BS hygiene degree, because it takes longer time for me to finish, I still have one more year left of pre-reqs. I dont know what to do, I really want to stay with my plan and hopefully i can apply by 2014. Please help me with any advises......

Thanks in advances!

Sep 16, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
eeek I am worried about some of the things you said in your post. Firstly, some schools do not accept pre-reqs taken at a community college so you might want to look into that aspect. Secondly, I really do not know how dental schools look at a degree that's completely online... if you were in their shoes how would you view it? Would you view more favorably towards someone who took all his classes online compared to someone who took all his classes at a reputable four year institution.. and vise versa?

I think I took 2 calculus classes that were geared towards science majors as a bio major so it's nothing too crazy or anything. Matter fact my AP calc class in high school was much harder and more in depth than my college classes.
As for the choosing of the degree, just do what you are truly interested and everything else should follow through quite nicely.

(these are just my thoughts, and I am just recent grad with a BS in biological sciences btw)

good luck with everything.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist

Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2005
Blythewood, South Carolina
Status
Dentist
Hi All,

I have a concern about what BS degree i should achieve by the end of 2013, My plan is to apply dental schools by 2014. I dont know if that is possible to do. I have a 2 years degree in dental hygiene, and currently i am at a community college taking the pre-reqs for dental school. Some of my friends told me to get BS in biology because many dental students do, but i dont like calculus and i think it will take me another couple of years to finish. On the other hand, I was thinking about BS in dental hygiene since I have some background and its completely online. However, my advisor told me that I shouldnt waste time in BS hygiene degree, because it takes longer time for me to finish, I still have one more year left of pre-reqs. I dont know what to do, I really want to stay with my plan and hopefully i can apply by 2014. Please help me with any advises......

Thanks in advances!

ANY degree will do as long as it gives you the best shot of having high GPA. DP