Need help with Dental School Wishlist for this June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be applying this June for the first time to Dental School. I'm starting to put together a list of schools I'm planning to apply to. I'm a CA resident. GPA is really low, probably after this quarter will be ~2.9 cum ~2.7 BCP. Completing my Masters in Biomedical Sciences and hope to graduate with a 3.8+. Will be taking DAT end of July. Here's my list so far. Your input and additions/deletions to my list will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone! :)

1. Western University

2. Midwestern University - Glendale

3. Midwestern University - Downer's Grove

4. USC

5. UOP

6. UCSF

7. BU

8. University of Michigan

9. NYU

10. Tufts University

11. UNLV

12. Howard University

13. Creighton University

14. Loma Linda University

15. Case Western Reserve University

16. NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
btw I finished undergrad with a upward trend of about 3.4-3.5 my last 2 years (stayed a 5th year).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I looked at it. It's really informative and thorough! Which basically led me to these schools. So I just wanted input from other people who might think the list needs some tweaking. But for the most part these are the schools I'm planning to apply to.

So I'll be applying this June for the first time to Dental School. I'm starting to put together a list of schools I'm planning to apply to. I'm a CA resident. GPA is really low, probably after this quarter will be ~2.9 cum ~2.7 BCP. Completing my Masters in Biomedical Sciences and hope to graduate with a 3.8+. Will be taking DAT end of July. Here's my list so far. Your input and additions/deletions to my list will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone! :)

1. Western University

3. Midwestern University - Downer's Grove

4. USC

5. UOP

6. UCSF

7. BU

9. NYU

10. Tufts University

11. UNLV

12. Howard University

13. Creighton University

16. NOVA

What about UCLA? Are you really willing to attend and send secondary fees for all of these schools? Why UM and UNLV when you are a CA resident?

Are you applying to Howard because of your lower GPA? If your an URM then go for it, otherwise your competing for only a couple of seats. There was a formula to use to see whether or not your competetive for UNLV (not sure if they still use it). Since your taking DAT in JULY it would be hard to see how competitive you would be. Otherwise it looks like a pretty good list to me.

What's your ethnicity?

Smash the DAT, that'll be your saving grace.

1. Western University

3. Midwestern University - Downer’s Grove

4. USC

5. UOP

6. UCSF

7. BU

9. NYU

10. Tufts University

11. UNLV

12. Howard University

13. Creighton University

16. NOVA

I'm Asian. So not really URM I've included Howard because I heard that they have accepted Asians before. I didn't include UCLA because that is too much of a long shot. UCSF is already a long shot but UCLA, come on... lol. So yeah at this point hopefully do well on the DAT and see how things go. But anyone know of any other schools I should ADD to the list? Thanks again!

I'm Asian. So not really URM I've included Howard because I heard that they have accepted Asians before. I didn't include UCLA because that is too much of a long shot. UCSF is already a long shot but UCLA, come on... lol. So yeah at this point hopefully do well on the DAT and see how things go. But anyone know of any other schools I should ADD to the list? Thanks again!

USN...if they ever get the school together in time.

1. Western University

3. Midwestern University - Downer’s Grove

4. USC

5. UOP

6. UCSF

7. BU

9. NYU

10. Tufts University

11. UNLV

12. Howard University

13. Creighton University

16. NOVA

If it were me, I'd nix Loma Linda unless you have a strong religious background that you could justify in secondary app's, AND you wouldn't mind going to a strictly religious institution.

I'd also nix Michigan where you are applying so late. Though I didn't apply there, I lurked around SDN and saw a voluminous load of people who applied there in late June/early July that didn't even hear about interviews until after December 1st.

If you wouldn't mind living in Florida, you could add NOVA.

BU gave me no love because when I submitted (late July) they said that I had been out of school too long (3 semesters at the time), which turned me off to them, too, because I had just scored quite decent on the dat (20aa21ts21PAT).

I'd advise you to try to take the DAT earlier in the month, and to have literally ALL of you app stuff ready so you can submit the second you get home from the DAT. What I didn't know when I applied is that when you submit you application, it takes another 2+ weeks to even send the application out to the schools. You'd be looking at the middle of August before schools even receive your application (with hundreds of others). Many times they just go into piles and are reviewed in the order that they were received.

If it were me, I'd nix Loma Linda unless you have a strong religious background that you could justify in secondary app's, AND you wouldn't mind going to a strictly religious institution.

I'd also nix Michigan where you are applying so late. Though I didn't apply there, I lurked around SDN and saw a voluminous load of people who applied there in late June/early July that didn't even hear about interviews until after December 1st.

If you wouldn't mind living in Florida, you could add NOVA.

BU gave me no love because when I submitted (late July) they said that I had been out of school too long (3 semesters at the time), which turned me off to them, too, because I had just scored quite decent on the dat (20aa21ts21PAT).

I'd advise you to try to take the DAT earlier in the month, and to have literally ALL of you app stuff ready so you can submit the second you get home from the DAT. What I didn't know when I applied is that when you submit you application, it takes another 2+ weeks to even send the application out to the schools. You'd be looking at the middle of August before schools even receive your application (with hundreds of others). Many times they just go into piles and are reviewed in the order that they were received.

Hey thanks for the advice! Yeah I wasn't too sure about Loma Linda. I wouldn't mind anywhere as long as I get in so NOVA is going to be on my list. In terms of timing, I'm submitting my application through AADSAS probably the first week it opens in early June. I hear that as long as you submit your application early you can take the DAT later and simply FAX or send the scores to the respective schools. I know end of July isn't the earliest but its not really considered late is it for a possible pre December interview?

Hey thanks for the advice! Yeah I wasn't too sure about Loma Linda. I wouldn't mind anywhere as long as I get in so NOVA is going to be on my list. In terms of timing, I'm submitting my application through AADSAS probably the first week it opens in early June. I hear that as long as you submit your application early you can take the DAT later and simply FAX or send the scores to the respective schools. I know end of July isn't the earliest but its not really considered late is it for a possible pre December interview?
Yeah, you're right about submitting early, but many schools still won't receive DAT scores/etc until a 1-2 weeks later (longer in some cases... I remember when I submitted in late July, some schools were saying they needed DAT scores in mid-September).

With regard to timing... No, July isn't super late, but it really isn't early either. I ended up having 3 pre December 1st interviews and 3 interviews set up before December 1st, but scheduled into late December- late January.

If there was one thing I would have changed, it would have been when I took the DAT (and thus, when my app was ''complete'' at schools). You really have a huge advantage being in the pool of applicants that are reviewed first (i.e. the first batch to mail to schools)... People who are complete early simply get more interviews, that's all there is to it. For instance, I was rejected at U o P, where many people with lower or similar GPA and DAT scores were getting interviewed left and right who were complete earlier.

I just remember thinking how bad it sucked when I was reading SDN and so many people had interviews to the schools I was applying to, and I hadn't even received "App Complete" emails.

Yeah, you're right about submitting early, but many schools still won't receive DAT scores/etc until a 1-2 weeks later (longer in some cases... I remember when I submitted in late July, some schools were saying they needed DAT scores in mid-September).

With regard to timing... No, July isn't super late, but it really isn't early either. I ended up having 3 pre December 1st interviews and 3 interviews set up before December 1st, but scheduled into late December- late January.

If there was one thing I would have changed, it would have been when I took the DAT (and thus, when my app was ''complete'' at schools). You really have a huge advantage being in the pool of applicants that are reviewed first (i.e. the first batch to mail to schools)... People who are complete early simply get more interviews, that's all there is to it. For instance, I was rejected at U o P, where many people with lower or similar GPA and DAT scores were getting interviewed left and right who were complete earlier.

I just remember thinking how bad it sucked when I was reading SDN and so many people had interviews to the schools I was applying to, and I hadn't even received "App Complete" emails.

Yeah I would ideally want to take it earlier too but I would feel more comfortable studying with an extra 2-3 weeks than to take it too early and possibly not do as well. As others have stated before my GPA is well below average so my DAT is what will hopefully help me more than anything else and I just want to be as prepared as I can for it by the end of July. Thanks for all the advice.