Need help with finding an upper level biology elective!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael37

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past two or three weeks, I've been searching none stop for an upper level biology elective to satisfy my remaining degree requirements. At the point I am now in undergrad, it doesn't necessarily matter what the course's content specifically entails as I've already taken the vast majority of recommended pre-med classes. Looking for a specific area of study within biology for this last elective wouldn't do much good. I'm looking for one offered during the summer or spring. As my course schedule for this school year will be quite heavy (several 8 week classes within each semester along with at least 25 credits per semester) to make room for activities I may do next year, I'm heavily favoring this elective to not be another major course that students would usually build their course schedule around as I already have quite a few of those I'll be juggling. As the pandemic is going on, several classes, even ones with labs, have been moved on to an online format. As a transient student, even if I were to be residing in a different state, I could take one of these online courses for my elective. I need the elective to be at least 2 credits and with the seminar courses available at most universities (at least the ones I've looked into), they're 1 credit at most. I've been taking quite a while now looking for one, I've gone through most state universities along with a few private ones but no luck. If anyone has some free time and would be willing to help me out with finding one that matches the criteria I'm looking for given my circumstances, that would be much appreciated.

I'll continue to look into a course that would be suitable and update the thread if I do find one.

Members don't see this ad.

We can’t really advise you on it without knowing
1) what options your school offers
2) which ones of those you like .

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you could look at the classes offered by FAES?
I've looked into FAES, it seems like most, if not all, of their classes are at the graduate level, which I'll have to check on if that would possibly be an issue for transferability to my school. However, the courses available include several 2-credit courses. That's a plus!

From looking at the layout of how FAES is presented on the webpage, it seems like these courses can be transferred for credit. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. Also, if you've taken any courses at FAES, which ones would you recommend and why?

I haven't taken any courses there yet, but I plan to in the fall semester! I was actually just going to take Spanish, so I unfortunately don't have any insight into the science courses. I do think the majority of courses are graduate level, but there are some courses (in the 100 to 300s) that are undergraduate level too.

I assume the credit can transfer back to your school? When I took courses at a community college over the summer, I had to talk to my college registrar in advance and show them the catalog and course description/syllabus to get pre-approved for transfer credit, so your best bet would be to talk to your university and see what their policy is?

Ok. I'll make sure to check with my institution before registering. Regarding their undergrad level courses, would they denote which ones are at the undergrad level through any other way than under the "Class Type" column of the course search? From all the courses I've seen so far, they're either under "Workshop" or "Graduate Course". Even the 100 and 200-level courses are marked as graduate courses. I'm not entirely familiar with how they go about course numbering, however, at least in my experience, 100 and 200s are lower-level undergrad classes, 300 and 400s are upper-level undergrad courses, and 500+ are graduate-level.

Since there seem to be several candidates for courses I may take, I'm looking into how applicable they are towards MCAT preparation. The following are the courses I either have taken or plan to take in biology so courses with overlap at FAES wouldn't be as helpful with MCAT preparation (I'll include only courses that are applicable to the MCAT so a course like botany wouldn't be included): general bio 1 & 2, A & P, microbiology, human physiology, genetics, evolution, medicinal plants, cell biochemistry, and hematology. I'm planning to take this upper level biology elective either this spring or next summer in 2021. I haven't contacted my university yet, but I'm expecting that they'll require that I take a course that is at least in the 300s even if 100 and 200-level courses are marked as graduate-level. With that in mind, what do you think are the best courses to take for MCAT preparation? Here are some courses I've looked into that I think might be good options: BIOL 313 (Molecular Biology and Recombinant DNA Technology), BIOL 327 (Modern Embryonic and Developmental Biology), BIOL 356 (Connective Tissue Biology), MEDI 309 (Introduction to Molecular Medicine), MEDI 311 (Principles of Endocrinology), IMMU 403 (Basic Principles of Immunology and Hypersensitivity), and MICR 432 (Human Virology).

Regarding the professors that teach each course, I wasn't able to find where instructor assignments for courses are shown. Do you happen to know where on the site it's given?

Pick what you like and would want to learn more about. No point in doing something you're going to be miserable in.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with CommyØ, pick what you're interested in, it seems like you already have a good base of coursework for the MCAT!

I'm not sure about the fine details about the levels of coursework, maybe try reaching out to FAES to clarify?

I don't know about spring coursework, but
here are the instructors for the fall semester.

Thank you for the course schedule! I looked more into the course numbering for the courses and found that, like you mentioned earlier, courses in the 100s to 300s are considered undergrad level while the remaining ones are for graduate students or professionals with a few being allowed for qualified seniors in undergrad.

Regarding the course schedule for Spring 2021 and Summer 2021, which I think will end up being one of the semesters I take a FAES course, has that yet to be released? I've looked on the FAES page, however, haven't found mentioning of a document for it or when it would be released. If you happen to have access to one of those course schedules if not both, please send it to me. If not, but you do know when the release dates for them will be, please let me know. Thank you!

I'm sorry, I don't have the schedules for the future quarters. If you look at the academic calendar, it looks like registration for the spring quarter starts around mid-November, so maybe check back in then. Good luck!