Need Help With Freshmen Course Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingHigh

Psych/Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be working towards a BS Psychology degree beginning next month, and also taking pre-med courses. My ultimate career goal is to be an Anesthesiologist! :thumbup: The advisors at my university aren't very helpful on how to organize and space each class realistically.

Here are the classes I need for my degree: http://web.usca.edu/dotAsset/0ce3187b-dd1e-48e6-a58b-3f4b40d730db.pdf

Thus far, I've taken:
1) AENG 101 - A
2) ASCY101 - A
3) APSY 101 - A
4) ABIO 121 - C (Yes, I didn't take it very seriously at all and it still eats at my soul. Retake advice?)
5) AHIST 101 - WP (I can explain....)

I would also like to be involved in the Student Leadership programs, highly interested in a sorority (ZTA), and am hoping to get accepted into the Honors Program (http://web.usca.edu/psychology/programs-and-courses/honors-in-psychology.dot) so I can get an Honors in Psychology! Would possibly taking 6 classes be too much of a course load? What classes would you advise me to take? Pweaseee and thank ya! :):banana::highfive::help::whistle::zip:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be working towards a BS Psychology degree beginning next month, and also taking pre-med courses. My ultimate career goal is to be an Anesthesiologist! :thumbup: The advisors at my university aren't very helpful on how to organize and space each class realistically.

Here are the classes I need for my degree: http://web.usca.edu/dotAsset/0ce3187b-dd1e-48e6-a58b-3f4b40d730db.pdf

Thus far, I've taken:
1) AENG 101 - A
2) ASCY101 - A
3) APSY 101 - A
4) ABIO 121 - C (Yes, I didn't take it very seriously at all and it still eats at my soul. Retake advice?)

I would also like to be involved in the Student Leadership programs, highly interested in a sorority (ZTA), and am hoping to get accepted into the Honors Program (http://web.usca.edu/psychology/programs-and-courses/honors-in-psychology.dot) so I can get an Honors in Psychology! Would possibly taking 6 classes be too much of a course load? What classes would you advise me to take? Pweaseee and thank ya! :):banana::highfive::help::whistle::zip:

My school's policy is that you can only retake classes you received less than a C- in. I'm not sure what yours is, but I don't think you can retake that C. Also, only you can really know if taking six classes will be too much. Some people can pull it off, others want to die halfway through when round 2 of midterms start up.

Keep in mind that if you plan on doing any ECs under faculty or any supervisors, you'd be expected to be committed to them throughout your studies. It's considered pretty unprofessional to take time off during midterm seasons (finals are usually more understandable) and can reflect badly on you though. Good luck :)

Thus far, I've taken:
1) AENG 101 - A
2) ASCY101 - A
3) APSY 101 - A

Six courses? How many hours? What are the classes? If its 6 classes/18 hours of easy stuff (English/writing/simple core classes/etc), very doable. But if you're taking bio/calc/chem all in one semester, then you may wanna take a step back and reevaluate and make sure you're making the right choices.

Also, retake policy changes per school. After you've joined your sorority, ask your sisters about this kind of stuff. The Greek system is notorious for bad publicity, but in reality, its a great resource for getting information how to be a successful college student (and also a great resource for dealing with school, if you know what I'm saying:thumbup:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing you do as a freshman is worth retaking. Any poor grades would be totally outweighed by good grades in upper level classes. If it comes up in an interview, "I was a freshman and figured out how to study out of that experience, which my subsequent grades reflect" should be sufficient explanation.

Nothing you do as a freshman is worth retaking. Any poor grades would be totally outweighed by good grades in upper level classes. If it comes up in an interview, "I was a freshman and figured out how to study out of that experience, which my subsequent grades reflect" should be sufficient explanation.

I half-agree. If you have the time and means to redo a class (especially one as important as a bio class), you should do it. Replacing a C with an A is more objectively indicative of academic growth and maturity than just claiming to have grown during an interview.

I half-agree. If you have the time and means to redo a class (especially one as important as a bio class), you should do it. Replacing a C with an A is more objectively indicative of academic growth and maturity than just claiming to have grown during an interview.

Getting As in harder classes is far more impressive than doing well in a class whose material you have already studied once. Don't waste your time retaking freshman classes.

Getting As in harder classes is far more impressive than doing well in a class whose material you have already studied once. Don't waste your time retaking freshman classes.

Well, I'm confused on OPs year. If she's going into freshman year, I'd say retake bio. If she's not going into freshman year I'd be split, but I'd probably go with your advice and tell her not to sweat it.

If you are a freshman, you have no business jumping into upper level courses, especially if your lower courses had been lacking. If you're going into Psych, you need to have a strong biology background to succeed.

The courses that I have completed already were while I was in highschool.

Currently, I've been thinking about this course load:
Eng II - 3
Bio II - 4
Physiology - 4
Psychology - 3
Gen. Chem. I - 4

I was possibly thinking of adding one more class or substituting one for Physics, Org. Chem, and/or Cal.

Also, thank you to everyone who replied!!!

The courses that I have completed already were while I was in highschool.

Currently, I've been thinking about this course load:
Eng II - 3
Bio II - 4
Physiology - 4
Psychology - 3
Gen. Chem. I - 4

I was possibly thinking of adding one more class or substituting one for Physics, Org. Chem, and/or Cal.

Also, thank you to everyone who replied!!!

That's a pretty full list. Don't add any more classes. If anything, that's a pretty tough schedule for your first semester. If you can handle it AND do all the ECs you're planning on, more power to you. Don't be afraid to drop a class if needed though. Getting all A's in a 15 hour semester is better than getting A mix of A's and B's in an 18 hour semester.