need help with genetics (risk calculation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nancy0223

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations (books, websites) for learning risk calculations (or genetic counseling) in medical genetics? I did do a search on all threads w/ the word genetics in them but found nothing. The lecturers in my school for the genetics portion kinda assumed that everyone have already had this coming in. So they didn't bother to explain much of it although they did promise there would be tons of genetics questions on the exam next week.
I feel very lost in all the probability stuff right now and would really appreciate some help :scared:.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to approach carrier risk assessment in pedigrees? Should I be drawing punnet squares for every possible case. Could this kind of calculation be solved using some kind of equations?
Just wondering, how often do the pedigree problems appear on STEP I?

Any advice on how to approach carrier risk assessment in pedigrees? Should I be drawing punnet squares for every possible case. Could this kind of calculation be solved using some kind of equations?
Just wondering, how often do the pedigree problems appear on STEP I?

Punnet squares? You're kidding right. That would take forever. Use the formulas for Bayesian analysis and the binomial expansion formula. Use uptodate or mdconsult for risks. But risk values are low yield until m3/4.

Step I has little genetics and each test varies on amount. Buy first aid for more info.