Need Help with OOS Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheElement

Being Lazzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 35R
GPA: 3.97

Shadowing various specialties (200+ hours)
Tutor
Various clubs (Very involved)
Volunteering (200+ hours)
Future leadership position
NO RESEARCH

My extracirriculars are solid but nothing spectacular.I'm pretty certain I'm going to get drilled on lack of research. I'm from Texas so I'm hoping to see some love from in-state. However, I'm seeing a lot of people that are getting rejected with good stats (for whatever reason) even before the interview.

Right now, I'm thinking about applying to Michigan, Northwestern, and UPenn for out of state. Would it be wise to apply to some lower tiered schools out of state?
Also do you think I stand much of a shot at the top out of state schools? (I don't think my resume is anything special).
The only hitch is I'm pressed for money and have to take travel expenses, etc in account.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bumpity bump.

I'm seeing a lot of people that are getting rejected with good stats (for whatever reason) even before the interview.
That's what happens when there are about half as many spot as qualified applicants.

Right now, I'm thinking about applying to Michigan, Northwestern, and UPenn for out of state.
You're certainly competitive at all of them, but those are very selective schools. Send you app to some schools at which you're an above-average applicant. The no research thing will only seriously hurt you at places like Stanford. Don't sweat that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, I'm thinking about applying to Michigan, Northwestern, and UPenn for out of state. Would it be wise to apply to some lower tiered schools out of state?
Also do you think I stand much of a shot at the top out of state schools? (I don't think my resume is anything special).
The only hitch is I'm pressed for money and have to take travel expenses, etc in account.

If you want to keep costs down while apply broadly, you can apply to Penn, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple :) they're all in Philly, so if you get an interview invite from one of them, you can write an email to the others asking if they might possibly consider interview you as well. A lot of schools are pretty nice about considering the travel logistics if you ask nicely :) You can also consider the NYC schools : Columbia, Sinai, NYU, Einstein, and Cornell.

I didn't have any bench/lab research either, although I did have a lot of clinical research and some psych research. But for most people, those things aren't "research", haha. In any case, my lack of bench research didn't seem to hold me back much while I applied :) So don't worry too much unless you're applying to Stanford or Yale, both of which are primarily interested in training academic physicians.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice Textuality. Actually I think your profile was one of the ones that made me go oh #*%!... :D

I'll add a few more schools, but I don't think I'll be doing the schools in NYC ... for the same reasons I can't apply too broadly. :)

Thanks for the advice Textuality. Actually I think your profile was one of the ones that made me go oh #*%!... :D

I'll add a few more schools, but I don't think I'll be doing the schools in NYC ... for the same reasons I can't apply too broadly. :)

Er...thanks? Haha. You numbers are better than mine though, and you seem to have solid ECs, so I don't think you should be TOO nervous about things.

In any case, you can see what cities have multiple med schools, to maybe try to keep costs down. The only other big cost cutting thing I can recommend is to stay with a student instead of a hotel (many upsides to this). :) A hotel room costs as much as a ticket sometimes! And many of the student hosts I had were even nice enough to pick me up from the airport and send me to the school for the interview.

You can also check out this thread for some cost cutting ideas: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=424366

Last edited:
I would apply to a whole batch of schools. Yes application can be expensive, but when you compare it to the cost of medical school--its not that much. Then you can at least weigh your options. And most schools are pretty good about interviewing you (if you qualify) if you are already going to be in town.

Find out what the OOS stats are for the schools you are interested in. They should publish them online, but if they dont, call them. That should give you a good idea of your chances.