Huskie14

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone have any good advice on how to approve the PS score?(aside from doing a ton of problems, I have been doing that.) I know equations and do fine on the kplan practice problems, but when I take the practice full-lengths I blank. Any adivice would be great. Thanks in advance.

DrSmday

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
Cali
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you tried The berkeley review books? I was in the exact same situation... doing well on BS, knew the equations, did all the EK 1001 problems but still PS score wasn't improving....

I ordered the berkeley review GChem and physics books about 1.5 month before my exam date and did most of the practice passages... these passages test your understanding and are really helpful... i also read some of the chapters to improve weak areas... my score went up from a 9 to a 13 on my last practice exam before the real thing..

now, i havnt gotten my actual score back yet so you can take my advise with a grain of salt... but i felt confident about my PS skills walking into the exam (something i never thought would happen)

good luck!

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
IMO, if you're blanking, then you don't know the content well enough. I would go back and review more content.

BTW, take the Kaplan PS questions knowing that they really aren't representative of the MCAT questions. They can still be used for practicing content but the actual questions are quite different in my eyes.

StarryNights

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
IMO, if you're blanking, then you don't know the content well enough. I would go back and review more content.

BTW, take the Kaplan PS questions knowing that they really aren't representative of the MCAT questions. They can still be used for practicing content but the actual questions are quite different in my eyes.
Totally agree. Some questions are harder than others and sometimes you can mess the problem up somehow to get the wrong answer or not compute fast enough, but you def shouldn't be completely blanking if you've done enough content and practice problems. Most of the time, after reading through the passage you can expect to see redundant questions associated with a lot of the topics. Keep at the problems and more content review (really trying to understand, being able to explain it back to yourself). You should get to the point where you know what the problem is asking for, and with enough practice you know the fastest way that you can solve it.

Nov 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
The Berkeley Review books are amazing for Physics, Chem, and Orgo...I highly recommend them, especially for PS.

BlameItOnTheOH

7+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I agree with NYR56 that Kaplan PS is soooo much different than the AAMC tests. I took about 5 Kaplan full lengths and 1) could not finish the PS 2)felt clueless the entire time and wanted to cry and then 3) got about 75% of the questions wrong (which is like an 8 in Kaplan...right)

My first AAMC i got a 10 and moved up to a 12 by my 3rd one....with time to spare! My advice is to continue to get your butt kicked by kaplan and use it as motivation to really study hard....but just know you'll do better once you get to the "real" practice tests!:)

Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Status
Medical Student
The Berkeley Review books are amazing for Physics, Chem, and Orgo...I highly recommend them, especially for PS.
I second this opinion.