Aug 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
MCAT: 515 (129 | 127 | 130 | 129)
cGPA: 3.46
sGPA: 3.63

Other: I’m mostly concerned about my GPA. I had to restrict my school choices mostly due to that. I took 5 years to graduate after doing poorly in my first ~two years then changing majors. I had a 4.0 in my last year and a half, but unfortunately that doesn’t show in the trends as a separate fifth year which is a bummer. Below are my trends by year.

cGPA (3.46):
  • Freshman: 3.63
  • Sophomore: 2.56
  • Junior: 3.46
  • Senior: 3.86
sGPA (3.63):
  • Freshman: 3.76
  • Sophomore: 2.64
  • Junior: 3.53
  • Senior: 3.81

School List:
  1. University of Michigan
  2. UCLA
  3. SLU
  4. Albert Einstein
  5. Emory
  6. Ohio State
  7. West Virginia University
  8. University of Missouri
  9. New York Medical College
  10. Penn State
  11. Temple University
  12. University of Miami
  13. Wake Forest
  14. Rush
  15. Georgetown
  16. University of Maryland
  17. Carle Medical College
  18. University of Alabama
  19. University of Arizona (Tuscon)
  20. Florida State University

Last edited:
About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You have several reaches as well as state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. SLU
  2. Albert Einstein
  3. University of Missouri
  4. New York Medical College
  5. Penn State
  6. Temple University
  7. University of Miami
  8. Wake Forest
  9. Rush
  10. Georgetown
  11. University of Maryland
  12. Carle Medical College

I suggest adding these schools:
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Quinnipiac

Aug 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You have several reaches as well as state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. SLU
  2. Albert Einstein
  3. University of Missouri
  4. New York Medical College
  5. Penn State
  6. Temple University
  7. University of Miami
  8. Wake Forest
  9. Rush
  10. Georgetown
  11. University of Maryland
  12. Carle Medical College

I suggest adding these schools:
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Quinnipiac

I looked into acceptance statistics for all of the schools and their policies. Almost all of the schools on my list say they consider out of state same as in state and I only picked them if the OOS/In-state acceptance ratio was decent. Main exception is FSU, which I have minor ties to and they are below my stats which I hoped would help.

Which schools on my original list do you see as obvious OOS rejections?

EDIT: And, if you don't mind, how have you gone about finding the supporting data for the obvious OOS rejections?

Aug 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would lose FSU, even with ties to FL they usually only take 4 OOS per class

Thank you. I was hoping with having minor ties and above average stats there I might have a shot. I might consider it still as my ties attract me to the area. Might be a waste of money, but pay off would be huge for me. I'd love to go there.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I looked into acceptance statistics for all of the schools and their policies. Almost all of the schools on my list say they consider out of state same as in state and I only picked them if the OOS/In-state acceptance ratio was decent. Main exception is FSU, which I have minor ties to and they are below my stats which I hoped would help.

Which schools on my original list do you see as obvious OOS rejections?

EDIT: And, if you don't mind, how have you gone about finding the supporting data for the obvious OOS rejections?
Arizona Tucson interviewed only 2.8% of non residents versus 27.7% of residents and admitted only 25. If you look at the class profile the percentage of African American and Hispanic is significantly higher than the state population percentage so I assume that many are URM. Schools also give preference to their own undergraduates. Florida State admitted only 4 non residents and interviewed only 0.3% of non residents. West Virginia accepts many of their non residents from adjoining states. U Alabama interviews more non residents (5.7%). Again, a significant number would be non residents with connections to Alabama such as attending the undergraduate school, former residents, legacies, veterans, etc. .

Aug 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Arizona Tucson interviewed only 2.8% of non residents versus 27.7% of residents and admitted only 25. If you look at the class profile the percentage of African American and Hispanic is significantly higher than the state population percentage so I assume that many are URM. Schools also give preference to their own undergraduates. Florida State admitted only 4 non residents and interviewed only 0.3% of non residents. West Virginia accepts many of their non residents from adjoining states. U Alabama interviews more non residents (5.7%). Again, a significant number would be non residents with connections to Alabama such as attending the undergraduate school, former residents, legacies, veterans, etc. .

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is very helpful. I will take them off of my list.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.