Need Help with School List/WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Background:

MN resident. Biology and English Lit double major. 3.91 cGPA (3.90 sGPA). MCAT 34 (12/10/12)

Volunteering:

- Physical therapy clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, online student support network (mainly deals with mental health), hospice, research

Research:

- Undergrad studying hematology in ground squirrels: 2 semesters for a credit, one "Dean's Distinguished Summer Fellowship," and volunteering for 3 months after I graduated before I moved back home resulting in 2 poster presentations but no publication
- English Literature Independent Research for 1 month full time
- Currently doing research in nutrition and neuroscience at a VA hospital through a university (10 hours a week since October)

Work:

- Medical Scribe since September (30-40 hours per week): mainly in the ED and once a week for a neurosurgeon during his clinic days
- 2 months working for campus online newsletter
- other random, unimpressive jobs.

Shadowing:

- ED: 12 hrs
- Family Medicine: 24 hours
- Cardiology: 40 hours

Other:

-physical therapy and pre-med club while at college with some light volunteering through the clubs
- YMCA, intramurals, Tough Mudder
- TA for 2 semesters in anatomy lab
- currently in a fiction writing course once a week

Letters of Recommendation:

- 2 from English professors, 2 from science professors, and 2 from physicians

I posted a few months ago and got some advice for my school list. So here is the updated list. I plan on applying to about 15-20 schools. Let me know if I could pick better reach schools.

1)U of Minnesota
2) Albert Einstein
3) Boston University
4) Tufts
5) Temple
6) Tulane
7) Rosalind
8) Rush
9) Georgetown
10) George Washington
11) Drexel
12) Penn State
13) SUNY Brooklyn
14) Temple
15) U of Miami
16) Wake Forest
17) Virginia Commonwealth

Possible reach schools: NYU, USC, UCLA.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have the MSAR? I'm picking up at least 3 schools on your list that, if I remember, are very in-state bias which you wouldn't be being from MN.

Reference the MSAR to confirm this, but your stats are good you'll definitely get lots of IIs

Members don't see this ad :)
Wherever you want to go, and you'll get lots of tugs on your fishing line. Good luck!

Do you have the MSAR? I'm picking up at least 3 schools on your list that, if I remember, are very in-state bias which you wouldn't be being from MN.

Reference the MSAR to confirm this, but your stats are good you'll definitely get lots of IIs
I have purchased the MSAR.

Penn State is about 50% OOS. SUNY Brooklyn is about 20%. Miami is close to 50%. Commonwealth is about 50% too.

I figured those would be worth a shot. But if anyone has any better suggestions for schools outside the midwest that match my stats that would be great!

You're golden. Aim high!

Background:

MN resident. Biology and English Lit double major. 3.91 cGPA (3.90 sGPA). MCAT 34 (12/10/12)

Volunteering:

- Physical therapy clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, online student support network (mainly deals with mental health), hospice, research

Research:

- Undergrad studying hematology in ground squirrels: 2 semesters for a credit, one "Dean's Distinguished Summer Fellowship," and volunteering for 3 months after I graduated before I moved back home resulting in 2 poster presentations but no publication
- English Literature Independent Research for 1 month full time
- Currently doing research in nutrition and neuroscience at a VA hospital through a university (10 hours a week since October)

Work:

- Medical Scribe since September (30-40 hours per week): mainly in the ED and once a week for a neurosurgeon during his clinic days
- 2 months working for campus online newsletter
- other random, unimpressive jobs.

Shadowing:

- ED: 12 hrs
- Family Medicine: 24 hours
- Cardiology: 40 hours

Other:

-physical therapy and pre-med club while at college with some light volunteering through the clubs
- YMCA, intramurals, Tough Mudder
- TA for 2 semesters in anatomy lab
- currently in a fiction writing course once a week

Letters of Recommendation:

- 2 from English professors, 2 from science professors, and 2 from physicians

I posted a few months ago and got some advice for my school list. So here is the updated list. I plan on applying to about 15-20 schools. Let me know if I could pick better reach schools.

1)U of Minnesota
2) Albert Einstein
3) Boston University
4) Tufts
5) Temple
6) Tulane
7) Rosalind
8) Rush
9) Georgetown
10) George Washington
11) Drexel
12) Penn State
13) SUNY Brooklyn
14) Temple
15) U of Miami
16) Wake Forest
17) Virginia Commonwealth

Possible reach schools: NYU, USC, UCLA.

You'd have a decent shot at UND as well. Based solely on your stats you're pretty much guaranteed an II, so long as you don't half-a$$ the secondary.

Last edited:
You'd have a decent shot at UND as well. Based solely on your stats you're pretty much guaranteed an II, so long as you don't half-a$$ the secondary.
I will check out UND. Looks like they don't take many OOS

I'm also thinking about some of these schools.

Albany, Hofstra North Shore, Jefferson, St. Louis.

Anyone have any thoughts on those schools? Anything I should know about them?

I will check out UND. Looks like they don't take many OOS

I'm also thinking about some of these schools.

Albany, Hofstra North Shore, Jefferson, St. Louis.

Anyone have any thoughts on those schools? Anything I should know about them?

The 11 OOS spots at UND are reserved for MN and WICHE applicants and it usually ends up being a 50/50 split between them. They use a point system to determine who gets interviews and with your stats you'd only be docked 5 points from the max possible for MN applicants. Also, 5 is the least amount of points you can be docked, so you'd be in very good standings for an interview.

The 11 OOS spots at UND are reserved for MN and WICHE applicants and it usually ends up being a 50/50 split between them. They use a point system to determine who gets interviews and with your stats you'd only be docked 5 points from the max possible for MN applicants. Also, 5 is the least amount of points you can be docked, so you'd be in very good standings for an interview.
I did not know that. Thank you. I'll PM with more questions about the school.