Need Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dollo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My opinion on your application is that you should formulate your final school list after you take your MCAT. Pay for the MSAR so that you have the most updated version, and focus on schools with GPA and MCAT medians below yours. You can also search for the Wedgedawg application tool to help you select appropriate schools.

I'd give you more advice, but I need that MCAT score!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: got my MCAT score back today and received a 517 (129/128/130/130). So far I plan on applying to my in-state options:

UMich
Wayne State
Oakland
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan

Any opinions for out of state options? I'm unsure how high I should reach. My GPA tends to be 0.1-0.15 below the average where my MCAT matches

Last edited:
Are places like Stanford, Yale, BU reaching too far? Little worried about GPA and non-clinical volunteering. Also planning on adding places such as UCLA, Duke, Ohio State, Pitt. What do you think of those? @Faha

Are places like Stanford, Yale, BU reaching too far? Little worried about GPA and non-clinical volunteering. Also planning on adding places such as UCLA, Duke, Ohio State, Pitt. What do you think of those? @Faha
BU, UCLA, Duke, Ohio State and Pitt are worth applying to.

Here's my tentative list so far:

Boston University
Case
Dartmouth
Duke

Einstein
Emory
Jefferson
Mayo
Michigan State CHM
Oakland Beaumont
Ohio State
Pitt
Stanford
Temple
Toledo
University of Michigan
UPenn
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Yale

The ones in bold are where I've already submitted my primary @Faha @gyngyn . Anything you'd change?

Okay, thanks! @Faha I thought it might be worth it to throw a few reaches where my GPA is ~20th percentile and MCAT ~40th percentile (Yale, Stanford, UPenn). Think it's a waste of money? I was thinking I may have a chance at T-15 since research is one of the stronger parts of my app

Okay, thanks! @Faha I thought it might be worth it to throw a few reaches where my GPA is ~20th percentile and MCAT ~40th percentile (Yale, Stanford, UPenn). Think it's a waste of money? I was thinking I may have a chance at T-15 since research is one of the stronger parts of my app
As I mentioned above, as long as you apply to all your Michigan schools you can apply to any other schools that appeal to you even if they are reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha Awesome, thanks! Just wanted to confirm

Any thoughts on the list @Goro ? Hoping to finalize today or tomorrow

woopwoop the return of the jedi :thumbup: (also, the best Star Wars movie)

I'm back, and I suggest:

Wash U
U Chicago
U Penn
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
JHU
U VM
U WI
U Cincy
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Your state schools

Update: got my MCAT score back today and received a 517 (129/128/130/130). So far I plan on applying to my in-state options:

UMich
Wayne State
Oakland
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan

Any opinions for out of state options? I'm unsure how high I should reach. My GPA tends to be 0.1-0.15 below the average where my MCAT matches

Reactions: 1 user