Need help with schools to consider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

252e77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a UC in 2010 but am a NY state resident. Overall, my science GPA is lower than recommended, though in my last year I posted a very strong upward trend. I've looked into SMP programs but after taking the MCAT feel applying straight out to be worth a shot. Since graduating, I joined Teach for America and am wrapping up my first year of teaching in an urban school primarily serving low-income students. Through that I have to take grad classes in education, so I'm also not sure how those factor in to med school admissions.

Based on the MSAR from last year, my sGPA is lower than average at many schools, but my MCAT is above average at most. So I'm not sure which schools to apply to and I figured I'd ask for your guys' help - any advice you have would be awesome!

MCAT: 5/27/10 exam
V: 12 P: 12 B: 14 W: S
Total: 38S

GPA:
BCPM: 3.35
AO: 3.75
cGPA: 3.48

Ugrad Extracurriculars:
-4 years of working with school-wide community service organization (involved in committee leadership for 2 years, whole-club leadership for 1 year) which coordinated/ran different service events (difficult to lump into a single category since the events were so varied, but were not medical in nature)
-1 year of medical volunteering with homeless community (free clinic)
-2 years of working in student government (staff, not elected member)
-2 years of working in faculty government (undergrad rep.)

Work:
2 summers - hospital internship (shadowing + research). Research published.
1 summer non-medical internship (government)
Teaching HS science (in progress)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, thank you for doing your homework before posting. :)

Your self-assessment is right on the money. Though your GPA is (slightly) below average, your MCAT is fantastic as are your ECs. They will likely make you competitive at a good number of schools for the upcoming application cycle (no SMP needed).

Before I throw out any suggestions for a school list, are there any personal preferences or limitations that should be considered?
- Regional preference
- Family/SO location
- In-state tuition
- Research vs primary care vs specialty preference
etc

First of all, thank you for doing your homework before posting. :)

Your self-assessment is right on the money. Though your GPA is (slightly) below average, your MCAT is fantastic as are your ECs. They will likely make you competitive at a good number of schools for the upcoming application cycle (no SMP needed).

Before I throw out any suggestions for a school list, are there any personal preferences or limitations that should be considered?
- Regional preference
- Family/SO location
- In-state tuition
- Research vs primary care vs specialty preference
etc

Thanks for the quick reply!! Overall, no major preferences as far as region, or family location (we're already pretty spread out anyway).
IS tuition would always be nice, but is not a deciding factor and although I had initially thought about being a primary care physician, I've lately started looking into different specialties and find them appealing as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
38 MCAT
3.5 cGPA
3.35 BCPM

No regional preference
IS tuition would be nice, but is not a deciding factor
Initially thought about primary care, lately looking into different specialties

- All NY schools (including new SUNY Stony Brook)
- Your undergrad UC school
- Publics that are friendly to OOS (MCW, UVirginia, Penn St, Ohio St, UMich, Virginia Commonwealth, etc)
- Privates in your stats range (Georgetown, BostonU, Loyola, Wake Forest, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, Temple, etc)

The average applicant applies to ~14 schools, but you may want to add more if you feel less confident, or want to add a few more reaches.

Grad-level classes in Education taken when you are not a candidate for an advanced degree are considered to be Postbac classes, and would be factored into your undergrad GPA. Does that help or hurt you?

Do you have any As in upper-level Bio classes or Biochem to reassure adcomms you can succeed in med school-type coursework?

You might consider USC, UConn, Miami, Cinncinnati.

With such disparate stats, I'd suggest at least 20 schools. Check each one to be sure their bottom tenth percentile for BCPM is below your number, except for a few dream schools similar to Creighton and SLU that will love your community service mentality, and other similar schools with a mission statement stating that they value that component of an application.

Grad-level classes in Education taken when you are not a candidate for an advanced degree are considered to be Postbac classes, and would be factored into your undergrad GPA. Does that help or hurt you?

Do you have any As in upper-level Bio classes or Biochem to reassure adcomms you can succeed in med school-type coursework?

You might consider USC, UConn, Miami, Cinncinnati.

With such disparate stats, I'd suggest at least 20 schools. Check each one to be sure their bottom tenth percentile for BCPM is below your number, except for a few dream schools similar to Creighton and SLU that will love your community service mentality, and other similar schools with a mission statement stating that they value that component of an application.

Thanks for the reply Catalystik - I should have clarified my description of grad school, it's for an Masters in Education (state/TFA requirement).

Fortunately I do have A's in most of my upper level bio classes, and in all of my biochem classes.

Apply to as many schools as you can afford.

Consider adding University of Illinois too. Their BCPM gpa covers a broad range.

The way I've approached OOS is by looking at the percent of OOS students that they interview.

Thanks for the reply Catalystik - I should have clarified my description of grad school, it's for an Masters in Education (state/TFA requirement).
This is unlikely to have much impact on your application process, unless your grades are dismal. Med schools, BTW, in general will expect you to complete the masters. They don't like to steal students from other grad-level programs. Can you do that in the next year?

This is unlikely to have much impact on your application process, unless your grades are dismal. Med schools, BTW, in general will expect you to complete the masters. They don't like to steal students from other grad-level programs. Can you do that in the next year?

Yes, the program will wrap up in June of next year.