Need help with science concepts and speed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got owned by the MCAT sciences today even though the Physics was easy. I had not scored below a 10 on the Physics since AAMC 2, and now I had to randomly click on the last six questions because I didn't have the concepts down hard enough to be able to answer the easy questions fast enough. There were no calculations and I still barely got through 45 questions.

Also, in the BS, I just couldn't get through the very dense passages, got confused often, and made silly mistakes (they were much harder than AAMC). And again, I ran into the same problem of time. I couldn't read the last passage even and had to make best guesses.

So I'm upset, but I'm determined to do better since I do think the problems are correctable. So my question is what can I do to improve my score? I've heard good things about TBR? I also want to take lots of practice exams but I've already taken AAMC 3-10. I can look over them again, but taking them again won't really be an accurate reflection most likely - should I get the TBR FLs? I do not need any help on the verbal, I have been getting 12+ on them, and I am sure I did just as well on the exam.

My second question is - can I take the September 2nd Test (or end of August), and send the updated score in late September? Do you think that will help me at all?

I'll start studying as soon as I know I need to (late June). So should I just apply now anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I just got owned by the MCAT sciences today even though the Physics was easy. I had not scored below a 10 on the Physics since AAMC 2, and now I had to randomly click on the last six questions because I didn't have the concepts down hard enough to be able to answer the easy questions fast enough. There were no calculations and I still barely got through 45 questions.

Also, in the BS, I just couldn't get through the very dense passages, got confused often, and made silly mistakes (they were much harder than AAMC). And again, I ran into the same problem of time. I couldn't read the last passage even and had to make best guesses.

So I'm upset, but I'm determined to do better since I do think the problems are correctable. So my question is what can I do to improve my score? I've heard good things about TBR? I also want to take lots of practice exams but I've already taken AAMC 3-10. I can look over them again, but taking them again won't really be an accurate reflection most likely - should I get the TBR FLs? I do not need any help on the verbal, I have been getting 12+ on them, and I am sure I did just as well on the exam.

My second question is - can I take the September 2nd Test (or end of August), and send the updated score in late September? Do you think that will help me at all?

I'll start studying as soon as I know I need to (late June). So should I just apply now anyway?

what FL?

If you feel that you need to get BR, I suggest you to make payments early... And if you find that you did well on the test, you can sell the books (not sure about CBTs) on SDN as there will be people more than willing to buy your books.

You may get better responses for application cycles regarding re-takes on Pre-Allopathic forum. People here are usually for their first MCATs (note the word "usually"), and not many people ask/respond questions regarding application stuffs.

Hope it works out at the end - many of my colleagues took it today, too, so I had my fingers crossed for them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I need to know what testing materials you used first before I can suggest what you can use.

This time, I used Kaplan. I did not take any of their FLs, I took official MCAT FLs. I used EK 1001 & Kaplan subject tests for practice while I was following the general Kaplan outline.

I did not use any material for Verbal.