Need help with some cardiovascular physiology questions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geneeskunde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an exam of 'blood and blood circulation' on monday. I searched for some exam questions of previous years and there are some that I can't solve. I tried google but can't find definitive answers. I was hoping some people here could help me out. These are questions that students of previous years put on-line so the phrasing might not be optimal. Keep in mind that this is an introductory class to the bloodcirculation.

1. A woman has high BP and fast HR. Examination shows occluded vessels in thorax and abdominal wall. There is caudal to cranial blood flow. Which vein is occluded?

a. VCI
b. VCS
c. V. lienalis
d. V. portae

My thoughts: V porta occlusion could cause caudal -> cranial flow via porta-cava shunts. VCS occlusion could produce the same via cava cava shunt. Lienalis occlusion seems irrelevant.

2. Woman complains of dizziness. High HR. LA: 16mmHg, RV: 44/8mmHg. How do you lower her blood pressure?

a. Ca blocker
b. Acetylcholine

My thoughts: they both lower BP, but which is optimal? Ca blocker reduces CO via HR and SV, and thus lowers BP. Acetylcholine lowers CO via HR and lowers BP directly via systemic VD. I don't know which would be optimal.

3. How do you measure thrombin concentration?

a. Blood sample in glass tube
b. Serum sample
c. Plasma sample
d. By looking at the blood platelet count

My thoughts: a and b are the same thing, no? In plasma there is only prothrombin I think. I have no idea if option d is relevant.

4. Someone had an accident and is bleeding heavily. Why?

a. He took aspirin
b. He has a vitamin K deficiency
c. He has a thrombomodulin deficiency
d. All of the above

My thoughts: a and b both seem possible. c is wrong, thus d is wrong too.

5. Which substance doesn't change coronary perfusion?

a. NE
b. NO
c. Atropine
d. Adenosine

My thoughts:
NE: positive chronotropy -> shorter diastole -> lower perfusion
NO: VD / coronary steal -> altered perfusion
Atropine: Lower parasympathic activity -> higher HR -> lower perfusion
Adenosine: Lower HR -> better perfusion

the questions may seem a bit random, these are jus the few out of the 100-ish questions that I can't solve and I'd like to fill these gaps. :)

I would greatly appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have an exam of 'blood and blood circulation' on monday. I searched for some exam questions of previous years and there are some that I can't solve. I tried google but can't find definitive answers. I was hoping some people here could help me out. These are questions that students of previous years put on-line so the phrasing might not be optimal. Keep in mind that this is an introductory class to the bloodcirculation.

1. A woman has high BP and fast HR. Examination shows occluded vessels in thorax and abdominal wall. There is caudal to cranial blood flow. Which vein is occluded?

a. VCI
b. VCS
c. V. lienalis
d. V. portae

My thoughts: V porta occlusion could cause caudal -> cranial flow via porta-cava shunts. VCS occlusion could produce the same via cava cava shunt. Lienalis occlusion seems irrelevant.

2. Woman complains of dizziness. High HR. LA: 16mmHg, RV: 44/8mmHg. How do you lower her blood pressure?

a. Ca blocker
b. Acetylcholine

My thoughts: they both lower BP, but which is optimal? Ca blocker reduces CO via HR and SV, and thus lowers BP. Acetylcholine lowers CO via HR and lowers BP directly via systemic VD. I don't know which would be optimal.

3. How do you measure thrombin concentration?

a. Blood sample in glass tube
b. Serum sample
c. Plasma sample
d. By looking at the blood platelet count

My thoughts: a and b are the same thing, no? In plasma there is only prothrombin I think. I have no idea if option d is relevant.

4. Someone had an accident and is bleeding heavily. Why?

a. He took aspirin
b. He has a vitamin K deficiency
c. He has a thrombomodulin deficiency
d. All of the above

My thoughts: a and b both seem possible. c is wrong, thus d is wrong too.

5. Which substance doesn't change coronary perfusion?

a. NE
b. NO
c. Atropine
d. Adenosine

My thoughts:
NE: positive chronotropy -> shorter diastole -> lower perfusion
NO: VD / coronary steal -> altered perfusion
Atropine: Lower parasympathic activity -> higher HR -> lower perfusion
Adenosine: Lower HR -> better perfusion

the questions may seem a bit random, these are jus the few out of the 100-ish questions that I can't solve and I'd like to fill these gaps. :)

I would greatly appreciate any input!

a b c d a; could also be the reverse.

p diddy