Need help with transportation and place to stay in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtran95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'll have an interview at University of Michigan on Jan 23rd. I wonder if any of you have on the same day or alread had an interview. I need help with transportation and place to stay. I found a good deal of flight and hotel online. Is it DWT airport? The place that I found is in Romulus which is 30mins from the school. This is winter and I'm sure it snows hard over there and gets dark very early. I've never been there before so I'm not sure should I rent a car and drive there early morning because interview starts at 8:30am, or should I just get the taxi. Since, I never live in place full of snow before and I wonder whether it's a hassle to drive around plus I'm not familiar with the town. Should I get chain for the car? Any suggestion for cheap place to stay? and should I rent a car?

Please help. Thanks
D.T

Members don't see this ad.

I think you made a bad choice choosing the hotel near the airport rather than at Ann Arbor. Detroit is no LA or NYC, there's no taxi running around. If you were gonna rent a car, I'm sure you could have gotten a better deal getting a hotel at Ann Arbor. Traffic and weather in metro Detroit is very random and sometimes highways can be stuffed and some days very clear. Sometimes it's 60 degrees like today, and sometimes it's 10 degrees with a foot of snow. I would advise you to cancel your hotel reservation and reserve a hotel at Ann Arbor. It would give you a chance to see what Ann Arbor is like and not be nervous about getting to Ann Arbor day before the interview.

i stayed at red roof inn. i'd recommend it, then get a taxi to school. it's about $10-$15 each way for taxi.