Need help with unique situation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masnerj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the situation:

I just found out recently (I know I should have known this earlier) that dual enrollment college courses taken in high school count in the AMCAS GPA and go under the pre-freshmen section or whatever. So my high school was unique in that no APs were offered but a load of college courses could be taken free of charge at a local community college (well known in the state). So being the try-hard overachiever high school student I was at the time, I took the max amount (60+ college credits while in high school) and many of the courses were "premed" in nature: Intro bio, intro chem, calc, and then a bunch of other science and humanities classes.

However, I was fortunate enough at the time to get into an ivy league school (which is where I go now) and at my current school none of the intro chem or bio classes counted for credits so I had to essentially retake them b/c of my major. My question is that although I did very well in the college courses (3.9+, 4.0 BCPM), I had to retake many of them and I did OK in the college ones at my current school. will it look BAD to medical schools that I took so many college courses in high school and that some of them were retaken at my current university? I will have higher level chem and bio classes as well (did well in chem and expect to do well in higher level bios)...My college GPA is around a 3.5 right now and I plan on getting it to atleast a 3.65 by the time I graduate. Also, how will the dual enrolled classes be looked at my med schools?

Thanks for the help guys, i'm just really worried that I am going to be looked at unfavorably or something

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be understandable that you had to retake some of them. My school does not accept transfer credits and I'm sure most are ivies are like that.

You still have a good GPA and it should be fine that you didn't do as well at an ivy where classes are harder/competition is more fierce since you still did very well.

School requirements are school requirements. I can't imagine a scenario in which this would be viewed negatively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider yourself very fortunate that you have 60 credits worth of 3.9/4.0 GPA in the bag already to pump up your cGPA and sGPA. Even if you end up graduating with a 3.5 from your Ivy, your cGPA would be a 3.67ish.

sorry...had to figure out how to quote lol

Consider yourself very fortunate that you have 60 credits worth of 3.9/4.0 GPA in the bag already to pump up your cGPA and sGPA. Even if you end up graduating with a 3.5 from your Ivy, your cGPA would be a 3.67ish.

Won't med schools not care about the pre-freshmen year stuff though? Also, they were at a community college (not saying anything bad about them or their quality because I really enjoyed the classes and they were definitely challenging at the time) so won't that also increase the likelihood that med school would only focus on my current UG college GPA?

Also, I took the calc college courses my junior year of high school and I have only taken stats in college (for some reason the school accepted calc credit but not the science courses for credit b/c of bio major)...would that CC DE calc be sufficient for med school applications? I looked around and most of the ones that mention calc as a requirement don't say anything against DE or CC...

@Goro @LizzyM

As adcom people, what do you guys do in this scenario? (idk if you guys encounter a lot of this though.....)

I had a similar-ish situation to you, but it hasn't been hurting me this current app cycle (or at least that's the way it seems).

Good luck.

All the Ivys have really good committee LOR writers. The letter will point out that you had to repeat the courses you took in HS because of U policies. No worries.

All the Ivys have really good committee LOR writers. The letter will point out that you had to repeat the courses you took in HS because of U policies. No worries

I probably should specify my original post...I took the first parts of college chem and college physics and a year of bio at the CC and when I got to cornell they RECOMMENDED that I do all the sciences over again (essentially same policy as AP) but that they would accept the calc. I don't think I was ever explicitly told that I could not use those credits...I chose to take the sequences over again because of their recommendations that because it was a 2 year school it would not be the best preparation for cornell's higher level coursework (written in a policy too I think). I don't know if that changes things or anything? I know I am freaking out over something little and technical but like I don't want to make it seem I was trying to beat the system and inflate my GPA or anything. And if this stuff was not mentioned/said in the committee letter? Would that make it worse? (I still have 2 years to go but just checking)

At a similar position, although not as many credits and only 1-2 freshmen-level premed requirements at a CC. Retook them freshmen year at the uni because I wanted to be better versed in the subject before taking higher levels