Need help with when to take certain classes!

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    I go to a community college in Southern California, expecting to transfer to a UC (UCLA hopefully) with a Life Science major (Physiological Science).

A lot of people do this community college transfer thing and so far I'm getting through with my first year. However, I wasn't able to take as many of my preparatory classes needed for transferring this past year. Basically, I absolutely need the following classes completed prior to my transfer next year.

Organic 1 with lab
    Organic 2 with lab
    Biology 1 with lab
    Biology 2 with lab
    Biology 3
    Calc 2

Any class I do not finish thereafter, I will need to take at UCLA. Keep in mind that these classes are all lower division classes.

I will not have time to finish the following by the time I transfer, and will have to finish these at UCLA undergrad...

1 year of physics
    Biochemistry
    Biology 4 (Genetics)

Would it be wise to just wait an extra year at the community college, and finish these classes there?

I have come to a conclusion that if I do this, the benefits of doing this include..
    -Cheaper classes
    -Higher grades (community college classes is def easier than UCLA)
    -Can prepare for MCAT so I can take it the following summer prior to my transfer to UCLA
    -Better understanding of material where I can get one on one time with the professor (smaller classes at community college)
    -Will only have to finish upper division classes at UCLA which will take 2 more years
    -Can take MCAT again after completing a year at UCLA

The negative aspects of staying a third year to finish physics, bio chem, and bio 4
    -Very depressing (its a community college you know...)
    -Only need those classes for my major, will have all GE's done and Honors program done

What would you do? Is anyone hear at UCLA with a science major right now? How's the Physics and Life Science series at UCLA? Is it difficult to adapt to UCLA classes coming from a community college?

I originally came to this community college because I'm out of state. It takes me a year to gain residency in California, plus it was extremely hard for me to get into UCLA as an out of state student. So I decided that a community college will help me transfer, and so far, I don't regret doing it. (plus I save a ton of money on tuition, because out of state students pay a lot more)

My goal is to get into a med school in California, and that's going to be hard. Would medical schools like physics to be done at UCLA or do they not even care? Please help me out. I know I threw a lot of questions out, but if you can answer just one of these many questions, I would really appreciate it.

About the Ads
    This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.