Need help with when to take certain classes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a community college in Southern California, expecting to transfer to a UC (UCLA hopefully) with a Life Science major (Physiological Science).

A lot of people do this community college transfer thing and so far I'm getting through with my first year. However, I wasn't able to take as many of my preparatory classes needed for transferring this past year. Basically, I absolutely need the following classes completed prior to my transfer next year.

Organic 1 with lab
Organic 2 with lab
Biology 1 with lab
Biology 2 with lab
Biology 3
Calc 2

Any class I do not finish thereafter, I will need to take at UCLA. Keep in mind that these classes are all lower division classes.

I will not have time to finish the following by the time I transfer, and will have to finish these at UCLA undergrad...

1 year of physics
Biochemistry
Biology 4 (Genetics)

Would it be wise to just wait an extra year at the community college, and finish these classes there?

I have come to a conclusion that if I do this, the benefits of doing this include..
-Cheaper classes
-Higher grades (community college classes is def easier than UCLA)
-Can prepare for MCAT so I can take it the following summer prior to my transfer to UCLA
-Better understanding of material where I can get one on one time with the professor (smaller classes at community college)
-Will only have to finish upper division classes at UCLA which will take 2 more years
-Can take MCAT again after completing a year at UCLA

The negative aspects of staying a third year to finish physics, bio chem, and bio 4
-Very depressing (its a community college you know...)
-Only need those classes for my major, will have all GE's done and Honors program done

What would you do? Is anyone hear at UCLA with a science major right now? How's the Physics and Life Science series at UCLA? Is it difficult to adapt to UCLA classes coming from a community college?

I originally came to this community college because I'm out of state. It takes me a year to gain residency in California, plus it was extremely hard for me to get into UCLA as an out of state student. So I decided that a community college will help me transfer, and so far, I don't regret doing it. (plus I save a ton of money on tuition, because out of state students pay a lot more)

My goal is to get into a med school in California, and that's going to be hard. Would medical schools like physics to be done at UCLA or do they not even care? Please help me out. I know I threw a lot of questions out, but if you can answer just one of these many questions, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.