1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by monkey17, Feb 27, 2001.

1. monkey17

monkey17 New Member

I'm a first year medical student at CCOM (which is an amazing school!) and am wondering what I should be doing during my first summer break. Is it imperative that I do research or find a clinical job? Where do I look or who do I contact for summer opportunities? Also, if anyone knows how hard it is to find a IM residency in Chicago from CCOM? All comments are welcomed.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

Your first summer break is a crucial time. YOU MUST USE THIS TIME WISELY! Your mission...should you choose to accept it, is to find a credit card with a high maximum limit...proceed to the nearest beach and relaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx!

All kidding aside, you'll NEVER have another free summer...enjoy it! Chicago has several programs and IM isn't really that competitive. If your grades and board scores are at least average, you shouldn't have any problems.

[This message has been edited by Neurogirl (edited 02-27-2001).]

4. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I totally disagree with Neurogirl. I think that it is in your best interests to do something productive and medically related to medicine during your summer break! Try to think about what area or specialty you might be interested in, and perhaps you can do an internship, or shadow a doctor. I think it is the best time to get some hands on training and learn about why you decided to become a doctor. Trust me on this. I spent my time very wisely over the summer between years one and two shadowing a few surgeons, and had a great time learning about surgery and scrubbing in to help on cases. I think the worst thing you can do is blow off the entire summer like the lazy neurogirl recommended.
    -your most wise Liquid :)

5. monkey17

monkey17 New Member

I think i'll be able to relax over the summer but i think a little bit of exposure might be helpful as well...where and who did you contact to get the opportunity to work in the surgical department? every hospital i call says they have no jobs for medical students...?

6. rosebud

rosebud Member
    10+ Year Member

oh yeah, and while you're at it, maybe you could track down Jimmy Hoffa for us as well?
    Get off campus. Leave town. Leave the country, if you can!

7. Definitely enjoy the summer. You will never have another break like that again. 2nd and 3rd year is pretty rough. At the end of those two years you'll have to take the COMLEX and maybe the USMLE.

8. monkey17

monkey17 New Member

so i guess none of the residency programs really care if i'm in the hospital this summer or not...by the way, why you stealing my name drpatel [​IMG]

9. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

All of you who have taken the summer off or are advising her to take the summer off: You are a disgrace to the profession, you are lazy, and your work ethic sucks big fat sweaty and crusty testicles. You all make me wanna puke up large blood tinged chunks of solid food matter. You lazy spoiled quivering sycophants are all the same, all talk and no extra credit. It really makes me want to vomit.
    -your most disgusted and nauseous Liquid

10. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Once in a while, Liquid does post something serious. It's rare though...

11. rosebud

rosebud Member
    10+ Year Member

Liquid, isn't there a zebra carcass somewhere you should be hovering over?

12. supyo

supyo Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

what is liquid so upset about???

first-- no residency will take or not take you based on what you do over the summer. they probably wont even know or care (unless you end up publishing)
    the summer thing is purely for your own benefit--ie if you think you may want to get a head start on clinicals or if you are just curious about a certain field --go for it. by no means do it because of future hopes of residency. it will make no difference.

you are not at all lazy or a disgrace if you take the summer off---broaden your horizons-travel, spend time reading NON MEDICAL books and with friends.

whatever you do, do not be unidimensional like our collegue, Liquid.

13. monkey17

monkey17 New Member

hi wasup,
    i see that you are from chicago also..did you go to ccom? do you know of any hospitals or places where i could get more exposure this summer...i've been calling around but no one really has anything for medical students...thanx for your help...

14. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Liquid,

It seems in all your replies that you have to pick on someone. We're not in the playground anymore and don't need a bully. Can't everyone get a turn to voice their opinion? If you must criticize, and apparently you must, why don't you do it constructively?

15. rosebud

rosebud Member
    10+ Year Member

uh..... sorry, make that a goose carcass. Seems our most carniverous Liquid is at NYCOM.

16. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member