Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJ Jilani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can provide insight into this I would be very thankful. I am taking the DAT this June and have a overall GPA of 3.02 and a science GPA of 2.8, I am scared I would not make it due to low GPA. And do I need to do like a postbac program or can get by with out it. Right now I am kind of confuse please help.

Members don't see this ad.

y not apply to both and if you get into dental school great...if not then at least you have something to fall back on? but put your main focus and energy on dental school applications...

Kick butt on the DAT- 20's and above... That will greatly increase your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kudos for the last two replies. I agree whole-heartedly! :)

i agree with what stargirl and brianm said. also...if you haven't started your personal statement....start your essay NOW....have people read it and revise it.....i revised my essay like 20 times before I sent it in....make it the best reflection of you that you can present. and of course apply early! the earlier the better... :) ..sounds like a lot of work...but once you get that big fat envelope dec. 1st, the fruits of your labor will be revealed... :D

I would suggest, however, that you apply to do a master's without a thesis rather than post-bacc. courses. That way you are well on your way to a master's if you don't get in. You can also apply for a teaching assistantship as a masters student, teach lab.s and make money doing it. Doing the master's without a thesis is better, too, because the department doesn't really invest anything in you (like research planning for the thesis) so they won't mind if you leave after a year to go to dental school.

Thanks for all your help, is it better to apply as soon as possible or wait till I have finished up with DAT and some postgraduate work.

APPLY NOW, DO IT NOW!! JUST DO IT. HURRY UP! TIME IS TICKING AWAY...NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME...YOU SHOULDN'T BE READING DOWN HERE. YOU COULD HAVE FINISHED YOUR ESSAY BY NOW....APPLY NOW.

JUST APPLY MAN. STOP READING THIS. :) J/K

AND GOOD LUCK.

Hhhhhhhaaa I like it Desidoctor.

AJ,

I defintely agree with my Starry Girl and Brian, aim for them 20s on the DAT and apply to Post-bac. programs. Use the opportunities to demonstrate your "TRUE" academic abilities!

Remember, no negative/doubts about yourself attitude allowed in this forum, with your 3.02 and 2.80, you will be fine. Be active in your applications and show determination and ethusiasm to dental schools.

I had a 2.76 cumulative and a less than 2.50 overall science!!! If I can wake up dental schools with 20s on my DATs and a 3.30 post-bac GPA, you can too!!

:cool:

AJ
study your butt of for the DAT, take Kaplan if you can afford it, use the Topscore cd-rom, i didn't use it myself, but all of my friends did and they all scored higher than me, and I am blaming it on the topscore cd, hehe, not due to my incompetence,
anyhow, turn in your app early because aadsas takes a while to get all your paperwork done, and the DAT score will be sent to the schools really quick, mine took about two weeks, whereas AADSAS took six weeks to get my application to the schools, that's about a month and a half!!! and they charged so much money just to do that, I just don't get it, just because they can, argh,
anyhow, no longer bitter.....really...not anymore,
anyhow, good luck, hang in there,
don't stress about your gpa too much at this point, try to improve or maintain it etc
good luck