Need Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior/senior and wanted to apply this year for fall 2008 admission cycle. I have a 3.47 GPA and 3.4 BCPM GPA right now and I will be taking my MCAT's in June. The reason I have this low GPA was because of my bad freshmen year. I am doing an honors thesis and received an HHMI fellowship this past semester for my research. I also did a summer doing research at NIH. I really wanted to apply MD/Ph.D, but looking at my profile, I feel like I am not too competetive. I need to decide whether I should wait a year and apply next year or should I go ahead with my application.

Any suggestions...!

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have clinical experience? Are you going to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs? Do you have loads of money, so that if you don't get in next year you could do it again? How would you improve your app if you wait a year?

I was thinking of including my senior year grades in my application...so that I could raise my GPA, and then apply next year. I do have clinical experience. I would also have more time to study for MCAT's this summer.

But I wasn't sure what I would do in my year off when I apply and wait for interviews.....any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

If you're aiming for mudphud, doing a lot of research in a lab and taking some hard science classes probably wouldn't hurt.