Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to just randomly lose everything? UW Qbank 70% and finished x 1, basically decided to just go through Q's I'd missed and for a good deal of them went blank, and this resulted in a 45. Given, the average was a 41 for the set as they were all tough Qs with 50% or less correct for any given question... but still. Kinda freaked by this. I take my exam in just under 3 weeks. Any tips/pointers? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I realized I'd gone away from my approach in tough Qs, basically teasing out things I know aren't it and then deciding from the options which would be best.

I did another block of 44 timed from the set I'd missed and went back to my approach, and did much better - 81. I had about 15 mins to spare, hopefully this means I'll have enough time for the actual exam given that from what I have read, the actual questions stems, while not tougher, is longer.

TMP, do you have any further advice for what all should be done in the next 2.5 weeks (this weekend will be a wash - call weekend)? I'm going to continue to go through Q's I've missed, use DIT for one last comprehensive review, and that's probably it. Any other pointers/suggestions? Thanks!

... or anyone else who did well with suggestions?

Still going thru Q's I've missed ... averaging around 65-77% range (steady) after the 45 and 81 on the 1st 2 trials.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to just randomly lose everything? UW Qbank 70% and finished x 1, basically decided to just go through Q's I'd missed and for a good deal of them went blank, and this resulted in a 45. Given, the average was a 41 for the set as they were all tough Qs with 50% or less correct for any given question... but still. Kinda freaked by this. I take my exam in just under 3 weeks. Any tips/pointers? Thanks

don't know what you consider good/bad scores but
70% is probably around how i would score on UW qbank before the test.
i got a 236

also time was a nonfactor, always finished sections 5-10min early

don't know what you consider good/bad scores but
70% is probably around how i would score on UW qbank before the test.
i got a 236

also time was a nonfactor, always finished sections 5-10min early

Glad to hear about the time aspect not being a factor.
My goal is >240, but if I end up with something similar as you, I'll be happy as well. Congrats!

OK, finally finished going through the Q's I'd missed the first time around. All I can say is, those were tricky and WTF-like Qs. Lots of repetition went on as some I missed a 2nd and even 3rd time, and each time I read the explanations. Hopefully a lot of it sunk it.

So, 1.5 weeks left. Exam is next Wednesday.
I just read through GYN. Will read through OB tomorrow, Surgery on Monday, and then Peds/Stats/Ethics on Tuesday. At that point, I'll have gone through everything in my readings. I'll have 1 week left ...

My thoughts are to go through the most HY topics and trouble-topics for me for Step 2CK.
-CV - Wed
-Pulm - Thurs
-Heme/Onc - Fri
-Renal/GU - Sat
-OBGYN - Sunday
-Peds/Stats/Ethics - Monday
-Review DIT notes, UW Notes, FA HY section - Tuesday

For each of the above days, I plan to also go through corresponding sections of UW, especially surgery, since I've not personally reviewed that section in quite awhile (I did surgery Qs 1st, then psych, then OBGYN, then Peds, then IM).

My question is, which topics tend to be most HY (high yield)? Is Heme/Onc all that HY? It tends to give me issues (especially Heme), but if something like Endo, GI, Neuro, or MSK is more HY then I'd rather spend time reviewing those topics than something that isn't as HY.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and support! Hopefully I can rock this thing! :thumbup:

OK, finally finished going through the Q's I'd missed the first time around. All I can say is, those were tricky and WTF-like Qs. Lots of repetition went on as some I missed a 2nd and even 3rd time, and each time I read the explanations. Hopefully a lot of it sunk it.

So, 1.5 weeks left. Exam is next Wednesday.
I just read through GYN. Will read through OB tomorrow, Surgery on Monday, and then Peds/Stats/Ethics on Tuesday. At that point, I'll have gone through everything in my readings. I'll have 1 week left ...

My thoughts are to go through the most HY topics and trouble-topics for me for Step 2CK.
-CV - Wed
-Pulm - Thurs
-Heme/Onc - Fri
-Renal/GU - Sat
-OBGYN - Sunday
-Peds/Stats/Ethics - Monday
-Review DIT notes, UW Notes, FA HY section - Tuesday

For each of the above days, I plan to also go through corresponding sections of UW, especially surgery, since I've not personally reviewed that section in quite awhile (I did surgery Qs 1st, then psych, then OBGYN, then Peds, then IM).

My question is, which topics tend to be most HY (high yield)? Is Heme/Onc all that HY? It tends to give me issues (especially Heme), but if something like Endo, GI, Neuro, or MSK is more HY then I'd rather spend time reviewing those topics than something that isn't as HY.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and support! Hopefully I can rock this thing! :thumbup:

i think i got a significant # of questions on all those topics.

extremely HY topic that i didn't see on your list: preventative/ambulatory medicine.
i.e. family practice stuff, htn, cholesterol, DM, screening, etc etc.

had a good number of questions on those. and these are pretty easy to study for. renal/neuro was probably the hardest to study for.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Finished up OBGYN. Went through 3 blocks of 44 of OBGYN, timed mainly on the Q's I'd flagged from the 1st time around (missed and correct), scored 79-81 (should have been higher but made some bone-head mistakes) ... felt good about my weaknesses (intrapartum surveillance and abnormal pap maintenance)

Tomorrow, will do surgery/ER/critical care related reading and then Qs of those I'd marked up. If there is time will do even more from those sets.

Tuesday, Peds/Stats/Epi ... and if time, will add on the preventative medicine stuff (feel pretty good about those, but you're correct, always good to review those for easy points).

Thanks for the tips, anyone else with tips send my way!

Updates!

Going through the Q's I'd marked - doing well, mostly in the high 80s to 90s ... I usually review Qs I debated answers on and Qs I've missed (again) ...

I have MSK, Endo, GI/Hepa, ID, and Psych left

I'm also starting to experience a little burn out - any remedy for his?? I usually do take breaks and whatnot, but I really want this to be over with at this point ... :thumbup:

Took it yesterday.

Lots of OBGYN, IM, preventative medicine, some surg, good bit of peds and some derm too ... LOTS of vague random crap too ...

I feel like I botched the test ... I narrowed a lot down to 2, hopefully I picked the right stuff ... :oops: