Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

need honest advise

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Mulder, Mar 23, 2000.

1. Mulder

Mulder Junior Member

Information Tech professional, 41 years old. Have wanted to go to med
    school for quite some time. Make great money
    but yet unfulfilled. GPA should be 3.4 to 3.5. MCAT will be next year.
    Will I have trouble getting accepted to med school due to my age???
    Which do they weigh more heavily, the GPA or MCAT ?
    PLease advise

2. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Mulder, thats a tough question: I have heard a lot of people state that they felt their age was the only factor that was not allowing them to get accepted at certain programs...but I know several persons at U of Miami, U South Florida and here at Nova that are 35+....I think its one of those factors that really depend on the core (unstated) biases of the decision makers and if there is such a bias we will never know for sure...its much more healthy to Just KEEP plugging away and assume its not an age issue...One question, why medicine?

3. Mulder

Mulder Junior Member

Why medicine? Thats a long story.
    for starters,,,Noble profession,Facinated by medical sciences,ability to significantly affect the well-being of others,compassion,
    contribution,passion.
    I have the right motives, Just not sure if
    I will be regarded highly due to the age factor.

4. flipper

flipper Member
    10+ Year Member

Here are my stats:
    GPA:3.4 overall, 3.4 science
    mcat:31

I just interviewed at UHS-COM on 3-20-00, although the interview didn't seem as positive as I would have liked it was still an enjoyable experience.

During the welcoming presentation, the V.P. of the school mentioned that last years class had a 55 year old as well as a 50 and 51 year old! So I would say that age is not a concern at UHS! In my interview the biggest concern seemed to be whether or not I would be able to handle the study load.

If medicine is truly what you want, then don't let ANYTHING, especially your age, stand in your way. Good luck on the MCAT.

eric

5. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

mulder...in case you didnt see it at the other site, i have some family reasons for not being able to give out my number at this time, but please feel free to email any questions to
    [email protected]

looking forward to it...you old goat...LOL

true story:
    we were in OMM lab and the Old OMM teacher was having a student place the students hand on the teacher's sternoclavicular joint and he said..."ok, now tell me what you feel as I move my arm"
    and I walked by and said "crepitus!"

6. jmor702

jmor702 Member
    10+ Year Member

Mulder,

I don't know if age is important.

I do know that I have just been accepted to OSUCOM. I will start in August as a first year medical student. I am 45 years old, and was accepted when I was 44.

Go for it!

7. nontradstudent

10+ Year Member

Mulder,
    Go with your heart. Don't let age affect your decision.