Quantcast

Need honest opinions

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted779421

Hello friends,

So I applied to some in-state MD schools my first cycle and did not receive a single interview. To be honest, it was expected. I am now planning to work for a year in a clinical setting, saving up money and gaining experience.

My GPA is low for MD schools but hovering within a standard deviation for DO schools. The same applies for the MCAT, although I am retaking it in September.

I have some friends who had similar credentials who were accepted into a DO school but not MD, on their second try. I am strapped for money at the moment and find it expensive to apply to both DO and MD schools...

The question is: If I only apply to DO schools and receive an acceptance, should I accept and not even attempt MD school on my third cycle applying? I know this question sounds silly and prideful, but it is less of that and more of pressure from my MD friends, MD family members, and peers. I do not personally know anyone who is a DO minus the doctor I shadowed infreqently a year ago.

I know the decision is mine alone, but I have read these forums frequently throughout the year and the insight, for the most part, has been helpful. If I should apply to MD schools, any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Hello friends,

So I applied to some in-state MD schools my first cycle and did not receive a single interview. To be honest, it was expected. I am now planning to work for a year in a clinical setting, saving up money and gaining experience.

My GPA is low for MD schools but hovering within a standard deviation for DO schools. The same applies for the MCAT, although I am retaking it in September.

I have some friends who had similar credentials who were accepted into a DO school but not MD, on their second try. I am strapped for money at the moment and find it expensive to apply to both DO and MD schools...

The question is: If I only apply to DO schools and receive an acceptance, should I accept and not even attempt MD school on my third cycle applying? I know this question sounds silly and prideful, but it is less of that and more of pressure from my MD friends, MD family members, and peers. I do not personally know anyone who is a DO minus the doctor I shadowed infreqently a year ago.

I know the decision is mine alone, but I have read these forums frequently throughout the year and the insight, for the most part, has been helpful. If I should apply to MD schools, any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.
If you will only be happy with an MD, how much will you fight for it? Are you willing to spend the time, money, and effort to engage in a year of full-time BCPM GPA repair, to have a chance of becoming a viable MD candidate? If you earned 30 semester hours of As in science and math classes, how would your cGPA and BCPM GPA change?

Have you continued to improve your ECs over the last year. Do you have plans to further enhance your experiences in the next year?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In many ways for you right now this has nothing to do about MD vs DO and DO limitations amongst other things even though inevitably those will always come up on threads like these.

The first thing out of all of this is you need an MD caliber MCAT score before any of this can be a discussion. Without it, it's DO or bust really. There's no point even coming up with an MD academic remediation plan without that MD caliber MCAT score. So if you take it in September and get your score back in October really that's when you can start planning things. Nothing else can be done without that. That's your first obstacle and for many the MCAT is the bigger problem than the GPA.

The other important thing that stands out to me is finances. For DO schools, for academic enhancement, some retakes at the cheapest local university is fine. For MD schools, it takes more than that. Alot more probably. If you do a post-bacc youll probably need more classes. And an SMP might be something to seriously consider as well in this path. Those are quite expensive and will probably require you to relocate. This overall path of academic remediation is expensive and without gurantees. You can do alot of things right and still not end up with the MD acceptance, particularly when you already have a bad MCAT score on your record. Im all for being upfront and honest about the limitations of DO and the bias that still exists but that's always something you have to keep in mind. There are no guarantees with any of this.

Me personally all I would focus on for now is the MCAT. I would let the MCAT score guide what type of academic plan I have next, whether it is some retakes at a cheap local university or something more significant and a bigger time commitment than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user