Need honest opinions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livestrong51085

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a LOT of withdrawals on my undergraduate transcript. I suffered from severe depression starting my spring semester of junior year. I ended up withdrawing from all but one of my classes that semester, for which I received a "B".

I proceeded to pretty much stay in denial for the following year for all of senior year and didn't seek medical treatment until the end of my "official" senior year. I was able to receive a retro-active "university senate-approved" medical withdrawal for that entire year. It shows up on my transcript with all the classes I was enrolled in with just "W's" next to them. At the end of the transcript, it does say that that year was approved for retroactive medical withdrawal.

For my "Super-Senior" year, I got 3 A's, 1 A-, and a D the first semester. The "D" was in Physics I, and at that point I was beginning to fall back into my depressive state, after having started off strong in the beginning of the semester. I did really well in the beginning in the Physics class, but since I was falling back into my depression, that was the one class that I "gave up" to the depression, while holding on til the end of the semester in the others. At this time, I was only taking Zoloft and wasn't receiving therapy, telling myself that I would be ok and was getting better.

The depression continued second semester of the "Super-Senior" year, and I ended up withdrawing again for "personal reasons". I didn't seek out the retroactive withdrawal again, because I was ashamed that this had happened again (feeling ashamed goes hand in hand with depression). On my transcript, this shows up at the end as withdrawing for "Personal Reasons."

I took 6 classes that summer, so I could graduate. I did well that semester and made dean's list, although there is another withdrawal that semester, but only because I ended up taking that same course (along with one other) at a community college online, instead, but it was already past the initial drop/add period.

So anyway, my transcript PRIOR to my spring semester of junior year is very solid. At graduation, my cumulative undergrad GPA was 3.52.

Since graduating, I have received real treatment for my depression through therapy and have discovered the root of why it was happening and started seeing myself in a different way and believing in myself, rather than just taking Zoloft, which is what I had been doing before, which is why I fell back into the depression.

My self-confidence and motivation have returned to their pre-depressive states. I have been working a full-time job for a little over a year since graduation in a stressful/busy surgeon's office, and have had no depression or issues since that time.

I've enrolled in my alma-mater's post-baccalaureate pre-med program starting this spring semester so that I can meet all the pre-reqs. I have basically NONE of the bcpm classes, except for the year of math, which is great, b/c I can get a great bcpm GPA, and also bring up my undergrad gpa from the 3.52 to at least a 3.7 or greater.

I am DETERMINED to get a 4.0, and ace every class (or come extremely close to it), and I feel confident that I can do this. I won't be working during this time, but will doing extra-curricular activities and getting involved in research.

I just recently decided to attend med-school, changing my mind from PT school. One of the reasons I think I fell into my depression is b/c I had no goals, and didn't really truly believe I wanted to be a PT. Deep down, I always wanted to be a physician, but never really believed I could do it. Unfortunately, it took me going through a "lost" period in my life, during which I scarred my transcript, to realize this. With my newly discovered motivation for my "true calling" in life, I really believe I will do extremely well in the post-bacc program.

So my question is:

How badly will my battle with depression and its consequences affect my chances of getting into med school?

If I get a bcpm gpa of 3.9/4.0 and an MCAT > 30, and have impressive EC's/some research experience, will that help prove that I am now a different person and am now capable of handling the rigors of med school? Will that be enough? Or am I pretty much screwed?

To anyone that is still reading this, thanks so much for taking the time to read my situation and provide your insight.

Please don't post any unhelpful comments. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please refrain.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. What's your overall GPA in college anyway? You need to bring that up if it's low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. What's your overall GPA in college anyway? You need to bring that up if it's low.

As stated in my original post, my cum GPA was 3.52, and I plan on raising that to at least 3.7 through my post-bacc program that I am about to begin this spring semester. I don't have any of the bcpm classes, except for the year of math, so that will allow me the opportunity to get a 4.0 bcpm gpa (or as close as I can possibly get).

As stated in my original post, my cum GPA was 3.52, and I plan on raising that to at least 3.7 through my post-bacc program that I am about to begin this spring semester. I don't have any of the bcpm classes, except for the year of math, so that will allow me the opportunity to get a 4.0 bcpm gpa (or as close as I can possibly get).

I think you should be fine. Make sure you apply broadly and lodge your application as early as possible.

I think you should be fine. Make sure you apply broadly and lodge your application as early as possible.

Thanks for your input. I definitely plan on submitting my application on JUNE 1st, not a day later. And I have absolutely NO delusions whatsoever about getting into a top 20 school. I will be happy with ANY med school acceptance, and I plan on applying very broadly.

I think you can explain the withdraw situation....

I think the bigger question is whether or not you can handle med school and residency.....

seriously, think about it....:)

It is not easy.....:(

I have definitely thought long and hard about it. I know it won't be easy, but I don't have any other choice. I know that I will be unhappy and always regret it if I do anything else in life.

Is the D in Physics I still on your transcript? I think that may hurt you--as it is a part of the pre-reqs for med school, but more than anything--it is important to emphasize in your personal statement and your interviews how you have overcome your depression--it shows that you have what it takes to overcome adversity.

I think the most important thing for you is to really do well in these pre-med pre-requisite classes. Make as many A's as you can & really keep that science GPA high. It will show that you have put your depression behind you and that you are ready to move past that situation to become a physician.

I wish you the best of luck!

Is the D in Physics I still on your transcript? I think that may hurt you--as it is a part of the pre-reqs for med school, but more than anything--it is important to emphasize in your personal statement and your interviews how you have overcome your depression--it shows that you have what it takes to overcome adversity.

I think the most important thing for you is to really do well in these pre-med pre-requisite classes. Make as many A's as you can & really keep that science GPA high. It will show that you have put your depression behind you and that you are ready to move past that situation to become a physician.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for your reply. The "D" is still on my transcript. I will obviously be re-taking the physics course. I am aware that the "D" will be calculated into my sGPA, but hopefully getting an "A" in it when I retake it will help offset it a bit.

I have definitely thought long and hard about it. I know it won't be easy, but I don't have any other choice. I know that I will be unhappy and always regret it if I do anything else in life.

try and get a strong social network then that can pick you up when needed...

I think you can explain the withdraw situation....

I think the bigger question is whether or not you can handle med school and residency.....(
You may feel confident that your depression will never again raise it's ugly head and effect your life, but it will be essential that you convey this to adcomms. Your explanation is acceptable, and that you fell off the wagon (so to speak) once, is understandable. But from this moment further, there can be no further blips in the academic road. You must consistently be the new person you've become. Your activities must reflect this. You must take responsibility, successfully carry a heavy load, and have a shining application. Otherwise adcomms will not take a chance on you.

Consider becoming a peer counselor for people with mental health issues, if your school has such a program. This would speak volumes on your behalf to anyone reading your application about taking a further step beyond solving your own problems, that you helped others with the same issues. Alternatively, maybe volunteer for a crisis hotline. Turning your own issues into a path toward helping others doesn't need to wait until you graduate from med school.