Need INFO about the dental field!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam8566

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello I am a junior in high school and I currently enrolled in a dental assisting class. in October I am taking the state test to be certified and i know 100% I am going to go further into the dental field. I currently planing on going to Cleveland State University for my bachelors degree, and then going to either Case Western Reserve or The Ohio State University for my dental school. what I am asking is if Cleveland State is a good enough school for me to go though to get into a dental school or should I go to a better one(I'm currently only looking in Ohio). Also I am wonder what should i major in for my bachelors degree?

Thanks

PS also anyone who took the DAT how hard is it and any tips for it would help! ;p

Members don't see this ad.

hello I am a junior in high school and I currently enrolled in a dental assisting class. in October I am taking the state test to be certified and i know 100% I am going to go further into the dental field. I currently planing on going to Cleveland State University for my bachelors degree, and then going to either Case Western Reserve or The Ohio State University for my dental school. what I am asking is if Cleveland State is a good enough school for me to go though to get into a dental school or should I go to a better one(I'm currently only looking in Ohio). Also I am wonder what should i major in for my bachelors degree?

Thanks

PS also anyone who took the DAT how hard is it and any tips for it would help! ;p

Case really likes turfgrass science applicants!

easy there big fella ... any college is good enough. keep your GPA up. worry about the DAT in 3 yrs.

now go graduate HS.

Thanks

Hello, and welcome

As far as "which school is best preparation for dental school" the answer is none. Any 4-year university is a good choice AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR OVERALL AND SCIENCE GPA AT THE 3.5+ LEVELS.

The same thing goes for major. It really doesn't matter what you major in, and it doesn't matter what 4-year university you go to, the MOST important aspect of your undergrad education is GPA. Keep it high enough and you woun't have to bother struggling with post-bacc and master's courses after you obtain your undergrad Degree.

Now going back to the majors topic. The reason why I say you can major in anything you want because frankly, dental schools don't really have a preference for science students vs non-science students, all they care about is you to show them a strong commitment to your education (AKA strong GPA) and a strong commitment to the dental profession (shadowing, working in dental offices, some community volunteering and such). If you can do these things, then your major is a moot point to them. You can major in english, history, math, physics, biology, chemistry, art, whatever you enjoy, but keep in mind, you will still need to take your pre-dental requirements no matter what major you decide for

And finally regarding the DAT, thats a headache you have to worry about in 3-4 years. Not these days. These days, worry about your college classes and your GPA. After you got your GPA under control, then you can come back here in 3-4 years and ask for DAT advice

Good luck to you