need last minute tips on how to understand/answer questions on anemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shishkaboby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm re-taking the COMLEX on Wednesday (failed the first time with a 390/74).
I have really really bad test taking anxiety and for these last few days I'm trying as hard as a can to not have a full blown panic attack. I can't even concentrate on studying. That's another thread topic....but I'm realizing that I never really understood anemia well. I'm looking for any little tidbits of info that may help me answer anemia questions. Is there a big picture concept that I should know? I'm starting to freak out and I know I don't have time to fully understand all the anemias, so I'm just looking for anything that may help at this point.

Thanks everyone. Just hoping I don't have a heart attack in the next 48 hours...

Members don't see this ad.

Just the usual:

Separate first by MCV(mean corpuscular volume).

Microcytic < 80
Normocytic 80-100
Macrocytic > 100

Micro: Think iron deficiency. Causes include bleeding(50yo man with colon cancer, 25 year old woman with menstruation) and dietary deficit.

Macro: Think B12 or Folate deficiency. B12 will also have mental status changes. Folate will have neuropathy. Think B12 in a vegan/vegetarian, folate in a woman who gives birth to a child with spina bifida.

If you see schistocytes on the smear think DIC, TTP, HUS, or a prosthetic valve.

That's obviously not everything but its the highest yield clues.

Thank you so much physics junkie. I guess I know a little more than I thought I did...but it's always like that for me. Confidence is a problem :/