Need MCAT advice (AAMC self assessment package/practice tests/study material)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting all of the practice tests (one per week, leading up to the actual MCAT date) from AAMC. In addition, doing 1-2 tests from the commercial companies weekly.

So on top of that, would the self assessment package help out still? Or is it questions from the practice tests...

I'll have Kaplan for content review (I don't require too much review of actual content, besides a little physics). But also, what are the best resources for extra practice with passages (especially verbal)? EK perhaps? My goal is to do several passages daily over the 2 month span before the MCAT.

P.S. Any rough ideas on what sort of score I should expect if I have 1 mistake (on average) per passage (on verbal) ?

Members don't see this ad.

The self assessment questions are different from the AAMC practice tests. I used them, especially for verbal, because it gave me extra material to study for the exam.

If you have Kaplan material, however, you already have extra material. It seems to me like you have plenty of resources without the self assessment so I don't think you need it. However, the best practice for verbal is AAMC material, so in that case it may be worth your money to buy the verbal self assessment by itself. EK 100 is also an excellent study tool, as it contains many practice passages and a scale to score your performance as you work through the different tests.

Okay thanks. One more thing, I definitely want to get BR for physics/chem/organic chem and EK bio (dont have these). Would a 2011 used be fine? Or should I go with whatever latest edition? (money isn't an issue, but if there's absolutely no point, then saving the few bucks is better of course :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks. One more thing, I definitely want to get BR for physics/chem/organic chem and EK bio (dont have these). Would a 2011 used be fine? Or should I go with whatever latest edition? (money isn't an issue, but if there's absolutely no point, then saving the few bucks is better of course :) )
So you're going to have BR and Kaplan content review? Isn't that a little much? Seeing how you said you don't require too much content review... I'd say a 2011 would be fine as long as it isn't completely marked up and questions answered.

Self Assessment package is just questions from previous MCAT exams. You have all the time in the world to do them, and they are not in any particular order. Good, but not great.

What I found really helpful were the AAMC practice tests which are retired MCAT exams. They have relevant questions and material that were very like the material that appears on the MCAT. With that said, the higher the number of the practice test, the more it is like the real exam. AAMC Practice Test 3 is extremely easy and is in no way like the real exam. However, AAMC Practice Test 11 is remarkably similar, with a level of difficulty very characteristic of the real exam.

As for commercial practice tests, they generally have their quirks and content that will not appear on the exam. Still good review, but don't think that every topic covered on those exams will be on the MCAT. The MCAT tends to be a little bit more narrower than that.

As for verbal, it depends on how you read and how fast you can be while maintaining accuracy. I remember in a class I took they said that you should do 6 out of the seven passages and guess on the rest. That never worked for me. I got 0-1 wrong per passage doing all of them together, even the last one within 5 minutes. Try doing a variety of different things. Something will work for you.

Self Assessment package is just questions from previous MCAT exams. You have all the time in the world to do them, and they are not in any particular order. Good, but not great.

What I found really helpful were the AAMC practice tests which are retired MCAT exams. They have relevant questions and material that were very like the material that appears on the MCAT. With that said, the higher the number of the practice test, the more it is like the real exam. AAMC Practice Test 3 is extremely easy and is in no way like the real exam. However, AAMC Practice Test 11 is remarkably similar, with a level of difficulty very characteristic of the real exam.

As for commercial practice tests, they generally have their quirks and content that will not appear on the exam. Still good review, but don't think that every topic covered on those exams will be on the MCAT. The MCAT tends to be a little bit more narrower than that.

As for verbal, it depends on how you read and how fast you can be while maintaining accuracy. I remember in a class I took they said that you should do 6 out of the seven passages and guess on the rest. That never worked for me. I got 0-1 wrong per passage doing all of them together, even the last one within 5 minutes. Try doing a variety of different things. Something will work for you.

I see, so basically do test 3 sometime well before I start studying and do the tests in increasing order (with 11 done last maybe 2 weeks out?) ?

And what sort of score do you get having 0-1 wrong per passage? Or lets say 1 wrong per passage.

So you're going to have BR and Kaplan content review? Isn't that a little much? Seeing how you said you don't require too much content review... I'd say a 2011 would be fine as long as it isn't completely marked up and questions answered.
I've gone through kaplan's general book, but I want to be absolutely sure y having br's physical stuff and ekbio.

I see, so basically do test 3 sometime well before I start studying and do the tests in increasing order (with 11 done last maybe 2 weeks out?) ?

And what sort of score do you get having 0-1 wrong per passage? Or lets say 1 wrong per passage.
Score is variable, depends on the exam. Generally though if you average 1 wrong per passage you get around a 10 I believe, but it depends on how they curve it.

As for starting with 3, not a bad idea, though you wont know what score you really start from. When I did it, I took 3 just to see how it was. Then 10 to see how I would do on a real exam. Then when I was studying I just went up basically from low to high, topping off with 11 a few days before the actual exam. Also, really take the time to analyze each and every exam you take to understand your pacing and content of the questions. I wouldn't take a new exam every day, you want to study and let it sink in.

Also I heard that it is best not to study the day before the exam. Just relax, clear your mind and rest. You should not need to study on the day following the exam. For me it worked.

Score is variable, depends on the exam. Generally though if you average 1 wrong per passage you get around a 10 I believe, but it depends on how they curve it.

As for starting with 3, not a bad idea, though you wont know what score you really start from. When I did it, I took 3 just to see how it was. Then 10 to see how I would do on a real exam. Then when I was studying I just went up basically from low to high, topping off with 11 a few days before the actual exam. Also, really take the time to analyze each and every exam you take to understand your pacing and content of the questions. I wouldn't take a new exam every day, you want to study and let it sink in.

Also I heard that it is best not to study the day before the exam. Just relax, clear your mind and rest. You should not need to study on the day following the exam. For me it worked.
Good advice, thanks.

But ouch, 1 wrong per passage is only a 10... damn. I really need an 11 to meet a cutoff for this Canadian school I'm aiming for (I'm in Canada).

So an 11 vs. a 13 for example is basically just a matter of getting 3 more correct answers?

I concur with the advice others have said.

I would start with 3 (I still think it's reasonably accurate) and go from there. I would take at least 2-3 on the earlier side because seeing how the material is presented and seeing what you actually need to know on the exam is half the battle. I changed how I studied substantially after I took a few exams as I started to get a feel for high yield content.

If you're looking for study material, I highly recommend the Princeton Review book for Gen Chem. It also has a lot of overlap with physics too.

Personally, I found tests from other companies that weren't AAMC to not be the most helpful. I didn't find that they accurately mimicked the exam. One of the most beneficial things for me was going through incorrect answers on the AAMC tests as well - it allowed me to target areas I was weak on. Obviously, for verbal, take as many tests as you can and take them all timed.

GL

I concur with the advice others have said.

I would start with 3 (I still think it's reasonably accurate) and go from there. I would take at least 2-3 on the earlier side because seeing how the material is presented and seeing what you actually need to know on the exam is half the battle. I changed how I studied substantially after I took a few exams as I started to get a feel for high yield content.

If you're looking for study material, I highly recommend the Princeton Review book for Gen Chem. It also has a lot of overlap with physics too.

Personally, I found tests from other companies that weren't AAMC to not be the most helpful. I didn't find that they accurately mimicked the exam. One of the most beneficial things for me was going through incorrect answers on the AAMC tests as well - it allowed me to target areas I was weak on. Obviously, for verbal, take as many tests as you can and take them all timed.

GL
Sounds good, EK/TPR/AAMC verbal should be enough? Or should I add in every resource available.

Below is my personal opinion on what is the best prep for each section.

Use all AAMC materials. For private companies,
PS: TBR content + TBR passages + TPRHL + Kaplan Section tests
V: EK101 + TPRHL + TPR ICC
BS: TPRHL + Kaplan Section tests + read a couple of pubmed articles

I got a 34.