Need MCAT Advice, Freaking Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibn Rushd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could really use some input from you guys!

I took the MCAT in January and got a 28M (10 PS, 7 VR, and 11 BS). I decided that it would be worth retaking to improve my verbal score, so I'm currently scheduled for the June 18th test and am also preparing my application for the 2010 cycle. The problem is, I've taken all of the AAMC tests (most of them more than once), I've taken the Kaplan tests, the TPR tests, and even a handful of BR tests. I've also worked through the entire EK 101 verbal book. At this point ... it just feels like I don't have any good practice material left. I don't know how to prepare.

I'm using the EK 16 Mini MCATs book and the BR Verbal Reasoning book at the moment, but I get the feeling that any practice I do with these materials won't help me much, that I need full-lengths to really get into the right mode.

I feel hopeless and could use some advice. Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I could really use some input from you guys!

I took the MCAT in January and got a 28M (10 PS, 7 VR, and 11 BS). I decided that it would be worth retaking to improve my verbal score, so I'm currently scheduled for the June 18th test and am also preparing my application for the 2010 cycle. The problem is, I've taken all of the AAMC tests (most of them more than once), I've taken the Kaplan tests, the TPR tests, and even a handful of BR tests. I've also worked through the entire EK 101 verbal book. At this point ... it just feels like I don't have any good practice material left. I don't know how to prepare.

I'm using the EK 16 Mini MCATs book and the BR Verbal Reasoning book at the moment, but I get the feeling that any practice I do with these materials won't help me much, that I need full-lengths to really get into the right mode.

I feel hopeless and could use some advice. Any input is appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the VR, but good job on the sciences. You said you've taken a "handful of BR test"-I suggest you take the rest of them, since that gives you more practice. I would also purchase the 10 Gold Standard CBTs, and the EK paper exams (most of them are geared toward the old paper MCAT, which is good-more passages! FYI, the VR passages in those exams are not the same as the ones in the 101 book). Also, if you haven't already done so, try to get a hold of the TPR Verbal Workbook offered through the hyperlearning course. I think all of that should give you enough practice until the 18th.

By the way, what caused the low VR score? Were the passages hard? What were you average on the AAMC VR?

Last edited:
When you say you worked through the AAMC and EK verbal . . . did you really go back and read the reasoning behind the answers? this is they key, because it isn't always intuitive- in fact, sometimes the answers seem quite ridiculous- but once you get used to the WAY right answers are right, you should improve. If I were you, I'd do the EK ones again- and after each one, really go through the ones you missed. If you've already done that, do it again. I actually believe that if you miss a question, then see the answer, then come back to it later- not only will the answer come back to you, the REASON will too. You'll be able to see it and remember, "oh yeah, the reason I got this one wrong is because it asks for an assertion that was IMPLIED and i picked the one that was explicitly stated." so although it's kind of like cheating, what it really is doing is helping you remember the strategy. instead of blowing through twelve more tests i think you should slow down and be more deliberate and serious with the ones you do take. (FWIW, i haven't taken yet- I'm June 18 also- but I've been getting all 10-12's on practices, AAMC and EK.)
Also as an afterthought . . is english not your first language? if thats the case then im not sure how to help!

You still have all 10 Gold Standard FLs. Those tests are pretty good, though your score is usually a couple points lower than normal. Still, good practice.

Thank you so much for all the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

I think I'm going to go through the EK 101 tests again, but this time really buckle down and emphasize the post-game analysis. As for FLs, I'll probably redo some of the Kaplan tests I have access to (it's been a while since I took them, I bet I've forgotten just about everything). Other than that, I'll keep working through the EK Mini MCAT book and I'll also use my flashcards to ensure I still have my sciences down.

Thanks again!