Need MCAT/other advice, ASAP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahLiz82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just took the MCAT in July. My scores won't come out until 9/1 and I'm trying to decide what to do. A lot of my friends who were summer test takers subscribe to the "assume you failed and reschedule for later this summer" theory. That was my plan, or is my plan. I'm not sure.

Here is what I know. I took it last year and got a 25Q applied to a few schools had one interview, didn't get in. The school I interviewed at is the school I really want to go to and the dean of admissions there said for me to take the test again and then take 2-4 science classes this year.

I had planned on retesting this spring and had to postpone to July. This forced me to "re-up" my Kaplan, which makes my online access good till January 2010. I had planned on taking genetics and biochemistry this semester and working.

Now a doctor I've been shadowing with (who is also a fan of playing devil's advocate) says "Okay, assume you failed. Reschedule for September. Now assume you failed that. I want you to study MCAT 7 hours a day and use your Kaplan and take it in January and get a 45." I said, "What about the classes I'm supposed to take?" And he said to pick one and take that to appease the school (his alma mater) and so that I can do really well on the MCAT and ace the course. (He's our family doctor and knows that a lot of what gets in the way of my studying is family drama.)

What do you guys think? I mean, say I did bomb it this last time and then I bombed it again in September (that would be test #3)...January would be the optimum time to retake due to the Kaplan access. He's afraid that a) trying to study to retake in September while doing both classes would put me in a bad situtation and b) the same for January. Unfortunately the time to add/drop classes will long be over by the time my score is released. So even if it comes back 33 or whatever, I'm stuck with the decision I made.

Also, does anybody have thoughts on the best day of the week for the MCAT? Far fewer people sign up for weekdays, so I wonder if there is a better curve there. Just curious on your opinion of this.

Thanks so much,

Sarah
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Sarah, my two cents would be that you shouldn't assume you failed. But you may want to wait to submit your AMCAS primary until you know your MCAT score from 7/31. I am a repeat test taker as well, and my first go I scored a 29S and didn't get any interviews at the schools to which I applied. I made a few mistakes: taking the MCAT in August (this was in 2005, when it was only offered in April / August), submitting my AMCAS primary before knowing my scores, and not adding more schools to my app after receiving my scores. The only disadvantage you would have for waiting until 9/1 to submit your AMCAS is that it takes 4-6 weeks to process / verify and your schools won't review your application until then.

I would take heart if you felt that the exam went okay this time around, if you prepared for it and didn't skip too many questions. Most people who score mid-20s improve by a few points when repeating, and if you got an interview at your school of choice with a 25Q you will probably get one again if you improve at all. (See this AAMC breakdown http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/admissionsadvisors/examstatistics/retester/start.htm) My advice would be to get your AMCAS ready to go for 9/1, all transcripts and letters in, with two lists of schools: those you would apply to if you did the same (or a little worse / little better) and those you would apply to if you improved a lot (say >30). That way you can focus on taking the remaining pre-reqs you need, and if you do get a 33 it won't hurt to have an extra science review prior to matriculation!

As for the best day to take the MCAT, it's the same test every day of the week. If having fewer people at the testing center makes you less nervous, taking it on a weekday may be a good idea. I think most people sign up for Saturdays because it's convenient.

Hey! I really appreciate your message. So just to make sure I understand what you're saying...do you think I should go ahead with the genetics and biochem I'm signed up for? Or do you think I should just pick one for now (just in case like all these people are saying) and then do the other in the spring. I think I would do genetics now as it's a pre-req. for cell and then I would do cell and biochem in the spring. Or if cell isn't that important, maybe just biochem. Or biochem and A&P.

sarahliz82- i think you should go ahead and submit your amcas- with ONE school- and start the verification process. if you get your scores back and you're happy, then you can add more schools and submit right away (you only have to verify it once, then you can add as many schools as you like).

if you aren't happy, then you can withdraw your application.

don't risk losing out on the cycle if you really think everything else is in place. most you will lose is $130. seems worth the risk!

If you aren't ready, do NOT retake the MCAT. After three retakes, your MCAT starts to look quite bad regardless of your score. Furthermore, don't assume you failed, and don't think you'll fail in September if you retook. That kind of negative thinking will undermine your chances for success. Remember that part of the MCAT is having confidence.

Also, there is no "best" day to take the MCAT. Simply take it when YOU'RE ready. That's all that matters. Don't worry about others. Besides, the curve has been built before you even take the MCAT.

Overall, I wouldn't bother applying this cycle unless you have a relatively easy to get into state school you'd like to attend. You first priority needs to be the MCAT. Applying comes after that. Once you have a solid MCAT, you can use the rest of the year to build up your application and apply early next cycle. Again, do NOT retake the MCAT unless you're ready. You can judge whether you're ready based on your practice test scores from NEW practice tests.