NEED MED SCHOOL SUGGESTIONS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neversheepMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right to the point:

I'm a white male, 4.0 GPA science and combined from the University of Florida, 516 MCAT, plus all the other "regular" pre-med stuff. Currently doing a 6 week internship/volunteer at an Israeli hospital and loving it!!

I'm planning on applying to the following schools:
  • Baylor College of Medicine
  • Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University
  • Duke University School of Medicine
  • Emory University School of Medicine
  • Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
  • Florida State University College of Medicine
  • Harvard Medical School
  • Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  • Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
  • New York University School of Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  • University of Central Florida College of Medicine
  • University of Florida College of Medicine
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  • USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
  • Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  • UTSW in Dallas
  • McGovern in Houston
  • UT Austin Dell
My question is what other "mid-tier" schools should I also look at applying (keeping in mind that I'm florida resident)? I feel like despite my decent GPA/mcat stats, I've heard far too many horror stories of high GPA/MCAT individuals not getting into MD programs. Thus, I feel that maybe including some more "safety" schools may be a good idea?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard and Hopkins are probably a reach, would probably add Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, and Wake Forest... also maybe Weill and potentially Duke.

The Texas schools accept few non residents. You should receive several interviews from your Florida schools. You could add schools such as:
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Cincinnati
Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your suggestions. As evident by the two replies thus far, many people seem to have different opinions. What are you all basing your suggestions off of?

thanks for your suggestions. As evident by the two replies thus far, many people seem to have different opinions. What are you all basing your suggestions off of?
Look at the MSAR .Florida schools give a strong preference to Florida residents. Texas schools give a strong preference to Texas residents.