Need of advice for how to approach next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiomedMatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So registration has begun for the 2007-2008 school year and I am in need of some advice. I am not sure which option would be more benefical to me in terms of applying to pharmacy schools and what would look better on an application.

I basically have two options"
1) Get my biomedical science degree in 3 years, vs.
2) Finish the couple of prereqs I have to do and focus on studying for the PCAT and gaining pharmacy experience.

If I did option 1, it would look something like this:
-take 10 credit hours worth of class this spring/summer. Occasionally volunteer at a pharmacy. Work very little for actual $$$.
-take a total of 15/16 credit hours the fall/winter semesters
-take 10 credit hours worth of class the following spring/summer before pharmacy school (assuming I get accepted)

Doing this would allow me to finish up my biomedical science degree in 3yrs time. However doing so would cause me to get somewhat less experience in a pharmacy setting and not allow me to work very much to save money. This would also give me less time to study for the August PCAT.

Option 2 would be:
-nix the summer classes
-finish up prereqs and work a little bit on my degree
-no classes the summer before pharmacy school (assuming I get accepted)

If I did this, I would be able to volunteer much more at a pharmacy, earn more money, have lots of time to study for the PCAT. However, I would be applying to pharmacy school w/ no degree. If I didn't get accepted to pharmacy school, I would use my 4th year of undergrad to finish up my B.S.

Any opinions as to what might be the best route to take?

What might look getter on an application? A B.S. degree with less pharmacy experience and a (possibly) lower PCAT score? Or no degree, but a lot of pharmacy experience and maybe a better PCAT score?

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

-Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Also to add--

My currend stats look something like:
Overall GPA- 3.6
Science/Math GPA- 3.65
PCAT- will take in August

I know pharmacy is the field that I want to go into, so going to pharmacy school w/ no degree and then dropping out of it would not be an issue.

best thing for u to do is, study up on the PCAT and make sure u do really well. the more pharmacy experience the better. I was planning to finish my BS in the fall semester, but i got accepted w/ out it, so no need for that. The school mostly likely looks upon your grade, PCAT score, pharmacy experience, community service, and activities u particpate in. you increase your chance alot with all of these thing up high.

Members don't see this ad :)
look into schools ahead of time if you go against getting the degree. some schools take a very high percentage of their class that already have a BS/BA (meaning very few without a degree) If schools are you interested in fall into that catagory, then it maybe wise to go for the degree. if not then you can choose based on what you feel will be your best option to maximize the amount to do before applications are sent in.

how about getting involved with your school? like pledging a national fraternity, joining some on-campus clubs, and so on. i think that helped me a lot this year cause my gpa wasn't amazing and i dont even wanna talk about pcat, but i got 3 interviews and 2 acceptances either way. i think schools look upon involvment with the school and community in addition to some pharmacy school exp, not too too much though. my opinion.....and also stay away from retaking pre-reqs at all cost.

why don't you apply to U of Hilo in Hawaii. they have a open enrollment policy and you will probably still make it if you have your letters of rec.