Need of some serious advice for the Match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoWayOut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not applied for residency yet. My step 1 score is 234/99, CS passed, both on first attempt. I have not taken CK and don't know when I will be taking it, possibly towards the end of this year. I am a 2001 grad so every year that passes is against me .... should I just go ahead and apply with what I have? I appreciate any advice..thx

Members don't see this ad.

I have not applied for residency yet. My step 1 score is 234/99, CS passed, both on first attempt. I have not taken CK and don't know when I will be taking it, possibly towards the end of this year. I am a 2001 grad so every year that passes is against me .... should I just go ahead and apply with what I have? I appreciate any advice..thx
A 2001 med school grad? If so, several thoughts:

1. You only have 7 years (in most states) to do ALL THREE steps for licensure. You may have to re-take or otherwise fulfill alternative requirements for licensing in the ultimate state for which you seek a license.

2. If you are 10 years out from med school and have never done a residency, you will need to explain what you've been doing during this time to programs. And FEW programs are going to consider someone who has been out of the game for so long.

What was the reason for waiting for so long to do residency?

3. Do you have RECENT clinical experience and current LORs from this recent experience? Programs want to know your current abilities.

EDIT: saw you took step I recently but are an IMG. Being out ten years is problematic; being an IMG as well makes it even more problematic. You can try applying to programs now, but you may not be successful at getting interviews. If you take Step 2 and do well, it may help your chances a little.