Need one or two more schools to add!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agb2782

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add about another two or three schools to my list. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

IL resident/Male/First time applicant
DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 19 PA
cGPA/sGPA: 3.85/3.82

So far I have applied to

University of Illinois Chicago
Southern Illinois University
Creighton
Marquette
Michigan
Iowa
Indiana

Obviously, I would like to stay in the Midwest, but at this point I feel I have somewhat exhausted my options in the region (Minnesota is awfully cold!) I'm not sure how I feel about applying to Midwestern IL, considering the program is not yet accredited (AFAIK). So, any schools in particular? They don't have to be from the Midwest.

Thank you,

A

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to add about another two or three schools to my list. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

IL resident/Male/First time applicant
DAT: 21 AA, 20 TS, 19 PA
cGPA/sGPA: 3.85/3.82

So far I have applied to

University of Illinois Chicago
Southern Illinois University
Creighton
Marquette
Michigan
Iowa
Indiana

Obviously, I would like to stay in the Midwest, but at this point I feel I have somewhat exhausted my options in the region (Minnesota is awfully cold!) I'm not sure how I feel about applying to Midwestern IL, considering the program is not yet accredited (AFAIK). So, any schools in particular? They don't have to be from the Midwest.

Thank you,

A

it is accredited.

from their website

"Offering education and training in the practice of clinical general dentistry, the Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree program joins Midwestern University's Downers Grove Campus. This program in dental education has been granted the accreditation status of "initial accreditation" by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)."

I stand corrected. Regardless, still seeking recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stand corrected. Regardless, still seeking recommendations.

NYU, Tufts, USC, BU, Temple, UoP...I think tuition scares off a lot of people, making them a little easier to get into, but all are great schools with great reputations that have been around for a long time.

Obviously, I would like to stay in the Midwest, but at this point I feel I have somewhat exhausted my options in the region (Minnesota is awfully cold!)

You do realize that Minneapolis, MN is only about 10 degrees cooler than Chicago in the winter. But, when you take into consideration the winds you fight in the winter coming off Lake Michigan in Chicago, the wind chill will be worse off than what it is at Minnesota. Realistically, if you are considering going to UI-C, then Minn shouldn't be discarded because of the cold.

You do realize that Minneapolis, MN is only about 10 degrees cooler than Chicago in the winter. But, when you take into consideration the winds you fight in the winter coming off Lake Michigan in Chicago, the wind chill will be worse off than what it is at Minnesota. Realistically, if you are considering going to UI-C, then Minn shouldn't be discarded because of the cold.

He's right...they both suck.

I live in Chicago, actually! Actually, I thought Minnesota was not very friendly towards out of state applicants, so that's why I have not yet applied there.

Out of the East Coast schools which accept large classes (Tufts, BU, NYU, etc) are there any that are easier to obtain admission to than others?

I live in Chicago, actually! Actually, I thought Minnesota was not very friendly towards out of state applicants, so that's why I have not yet applied there.

Out of the East Coast schools which accept large classes (Tufts, BU, NYU, etc) are there any that are easier to obtain admission to than others?

Honestly I think they're all about the same. NYU has the biggest class though and the highest price (which turns off alot of people if they have another choice) so your chances are probably higher there.

If that is the case regarding Minn, then I see your point for not applying there, BUT the OP stated his reason to be the cold weather.

If that is the case regarding Minn, then I see your point for not applying there, BUT the OP stated his reason to be the cold weather.

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I jokingly said that MN was too cold, but in reality, I have chosen not to apply there because of OOS statistics.

Can anyone comment on Louisville or Case Western? Would I be a strong applicant at either of those institutions?

I was just joking about them sucking too...I lived in Chicago for 6 years and loved it. But man, those winters...

I think Louiseville is supposed to be somewhat OOS friendly b/c they accept a decent portion of the class from outside KY, but you still need way higher than avg stats to get one of those seats. Basically, it would probably be a long shot, but this whole thing is a crap shoot.

Case you definitely have a good shot at.

NYU is definitely the easiest of the northeast schools...it's been number one in that category for several years now. (Again, just because of cost, not b/c it's a bad school).

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I jokingly said that MN was too cold, but in reality, I have chosen not to apply there because of OOS statistics.

Can anyone comment on Louisville or Case Western? Would I be a strong applicant at either of those institutions?

I wish one of the big OOS-friendly schools could be somewhere warmer! USC is so far away from home and expensive that I'd prefer not to go there, and the other ones are up in New England.

I suppose that beggars can't be choosers. At this point, I'd be happy to go to dental school in Antarctica! :laugh:

I wish one of the big OOS-friendly schools could be somewhere warmer! USC is so far away from home and expensive that I'd prefer not to go there, and the other ones are up in New England.

I suppose that beggars can't be choosers. At this point, I'd be happy to go to dental school in Antarctica! :laugh:

Perhaps MWU-AZ. About 80% of ~110 seats is OOS. And it will be plenty warm. Kind of pricey, but not completely crazy.

Just making one more attempt for more input

If you don't mind heading down to Oklahoma, apply there. Both times I applied to dental school (1995 and 2005), I was accepted there as an OOS applicant with similar stats as yours.