Need OOS school recs 3.92/519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

une-baguette

2021-2022 Applicant
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
    • AMCAS – cGPA: 3.92 sGPA: 3.91
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
    • 519: 128/130/129/132
  3. State:
    • Florida
  4. Ethnicity and/or race:
    • White Female
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
    • Large state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • Non-volunteer: Registered Behavior Technician (1500 hours by application, continuing through gap year) – certified behavior therapist for children with autism – direct patient care
    • Volunteer: 375 hours patient experience hospital volunteer by application (continuing through gap year, projected 500+)
  7. Research experience and productivity
  • 850 hours Neuroscience stem cell lab – 1 poster
  • 350 hours Honors thesis on thyroid hormones in autism – defended and “published” in school journal – 2 posters
  • Presented research poster about service organization for students with intellectual disabilities listed below
  1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 25 hours Primary Care
    • 23 hours IM Hospitalist
    • 27 hours Allergist – selected by university for Clinical Internship, completed reports for course credit
    • 20 hours Gastroenterology
    • 18 hours Orthopedic Surgery
    • 22 hours Emergency Medicine
  2. Non-clinical volunteering
    • 800 hours Special Olympics Coach – head coach, 3 sports, lots of certifications, mentorship, leadership, etc. (continuing through gap year)
    • 220 hours university volunteer organization, served on committees for 2 years for outreach and event planning in the areas of hunger/homelessness and disability
  3. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • 75 hours TA for Statistical Methods in Psychology 1 semester – initiated and executed first instructional SPSS seminar for lab portion of the course along with normal grading and tutoring TA duties
    • 450 hours Pre-Med AMSA member all of undergrad – mentorship program – had 2 mentees every year, served on pre-med Q&A panels, obtained distinguished member status
      1. Participated in national reproductive health scholars program and reproductive justice leadership
    • 350 hours co-founded service organization on campus to facilitate mentorship for inclusive education students with intellectual disabilities in the areas of health/wellness, academics, campus activity, and career exploration with the goal of meaningful employment and inclusion
    • 180 hours Biomedical Sciences peer mentor – trained for 1 semester, then had weekly office hours to help students identify life problems affecting their success, obtained senior peer mentor status
    • 125 hours – international special needs sibling support group leadership team – assembled resource materials, facilitated support groups, worked with children’s hospitals on efforts to support siblings
  4. Relevant honors or awards
    • Honors student and degree
    • Provost Scholar – large ($30k) merit scholarship
    • Multiple small scholarships selected for leadership/volunteering/achievement/study abroad
  5. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • 5000+ hours food service employment including shift manager position over 6 years

School List:
UF
USF
UCF
FSU
UMiami
Nova MD
FAU
FIU
HELP?????? I have no idea where to go beyond Florida schools but preferably would like to stay on the east coast. I also spent a lot of childhood in Virginia and still have family there if that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these OOS schools with your geographical preference:
Emory
Duke
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Harvard
Boston University

Reactions: 1 user
You have an awesome application.

Add all the schools in Florida, then add whatever Top 20 schools you want with a few mid-tiers and safeties thrown in there. Faha has given you a good list, but you are free to expand on that and good to apply anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you are in a strong position. So what schools have you networked with since you have an AMSA membership/connection? Do you already have some inclination towards a subset of schools on the list above?

You have an awesome application.

Add all the schools in Florida, then add whatever Top 20 schools you want with a few mid-tiers and safeties thrown in there. Faha has given you a good list, but you are free to expand on that and good to apply anywhere.
Thank you! Lots of people I’ve talked to think this list is too top heavy, what do you think?

I agree you are in a strong position. So what schools have you networked with since you have an AMSA membership/connection? Do you already have some inclination towards a subset of schools on the list above?
Thank you! Honestly the most networking I achieved from AMSA was a physician to shadow. Not much with other schools really!

Thank you! Lots of people I’ve talked to think this list is too top heavy, what do you think?
All of the florida schools + schools faha recommended would be a good list for you.