1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Need opinion on which type of school to enter post-bacc

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by butters149, Nov 30, 2008.

1. butters149

2+ Year Member

Hi,

Just wondering, because I have heard from many people, many differnt things.

Is it better to take just the pre-reqs to take the MCAT or enter a post-bacc program?

Which is better? CC or State colleges?

Also because I was a transfer student for my undergraduate, do the medical schools take into consideration ALL of my CC grades or just the transferrable ones?

Thanks

2. princekc

10+ Year Member

3. OP
    OP
    butters149

2+ Year Member

I currently hold a BA in Business Economics with a 3.51 cumulative GPA. I also graduated with honors and dean's honors list for Spring 2008.

My CC cumulative grades were around a 2.8, I don't remember exactly.

4. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would advise against a community college unless it has some sort of special linkage with any particular medical school. Some medical schools might not accept community college credits, and also they might think you are trying to take easy classes rather than more challenging ones. However, some medical schools will accept community college credits. It might be best to check with the medical schools you are interested in.

The best place to take premed classes would be at a 4 year college or university that places a lot of students into medical schools. There may or may not be one like this in your city/immediate area. If there isn't, you just pick the best local college you can find and go for it, or you make the decision to move.

3.5 overall GPA is OK...I'm confused about the community college GPA being so low. Usually it might be the other way around. The best you can do is start taking some science classes (like general chemistry or general biology for biology majors, with labs) and see if you can get A's. If yes, then start exploring volunteer work in the health care field.