need opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dovebird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a mother of girl who wants to be a doctor, she is still in 10 grade. Please tell should i get her a latin language tutor? will it help her for a future?

Members don't see this ad.

No... It's not cost effective. I think Latin language can only help with medical terms which can be just memorized..

Expose her to various medical setting, related subjects to find out if she really wants to be a doctor.

ha! I was just talking to my dad about that. First off, give your daughter some space. Mother's can be so pushy that it can actually have an adverse effect on their children. I know a guy who was valedictorian, went to Berkeley, flunked out and it set him back quite a long time. He was just happy to be away from his "tiger mother". Just encourage her to do well in high school, tell her it is ridiculously competitive but if she works hard she can still do it, and tell her she should try to get into calculus, and the AP science classes because it will make it easier for her in college. A lot of medical schools will allow you to meet with an admissions officer. If she truly wants to do this, you can ask someone over there what school most of the accepted applicants went to, and what she should do to get in. That's about as far as I would take it. Latin is a dead language, and if she's curious about the etymology of a word she can "google" it. That money would be better spent on a tutor in a class she might be struggling with. She doesn't need to go to a research institution to practice medicine either, that can backfire. I went to a pretty decent school in California ( UCSD ) and everyone in my bio. class was shooting for medical school. Guess how many got in? Not a lot, in a class of 300 for my chemistry class, probably about five to ten of them. After graduating they wish they went somewhere else because everybody was at each other's throat, and the medical schools didn't care anyway. They try to be objective about schools, that's why they go by their gpa and mcat scores.

Last edited:
To add to going2breakdown's comment, my family was a recent immigrant, and due to my parents' lack of ability to speak English, they didn't have much insight into American Education system. As a first child, I had to study, search up the college app process, etc by myself. I think it was a great opportunity in making me independent and led me to success at college.

What I'm trying to say is, as a parent, you should give her more room and try to make her independent of your help. This applies if your daughter is already on the track of studying (for example, doing already great, knowing that she has to study.) If your child is not on the track, I agree that some push is needed on the parents' end.