• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Need opinions about next semester

ADentalHopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
okay, so I've been told i shouldnt do this, but in my head i think it is so do-able.(if thats a word....)
I am taking next time:

Calculus (1st one): my teacher is suppose to be really good, but assigns a lot of homework...
Bio (1st one) with avg. 7 hours of lab work. that i have about 12 or 13 hours available during the lab hour times to do them in.
Chemistry(2nd one) and chem isnt that hard for me only the labs terrify me, but i'm assuming i'll get use to it.
Psychology (2nd one): all memorization, my specialty.
it is 14 credits total.

Has anyone taken these ones combined together during a summer? one of my friends did and it dropped her gpa to 1.8 lol. Im thinking thats just like a personal case and i highly doubt that would happen to everyone who takes those courses together...
Any thoughts?

TeachME

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2008
Miami
  1. Pre-Dental
okay, so I've been told i shouldnt do this, but in my head i think it is so do-able.(if thats a word....)
I am taking next time:

Calculus (1st one): my teacher is suppose to be really good, but assigns a lot of homework...
Bio (1st one) with avg. 7 hours of lab work. that i have about 12 or 13 hours available during the lab hour times to do them in.
Chemistry(2nd one) and chem isnt that hard for me only the labs terrify me, but i'm assuming i'll get use to it.
Psychology (2nd one): all memorization, my specialty.
it is 14 credits total.

Has anyone taken these ones combined together during a summer? one of my friends did and it dropped her gpa to 1.8 lol. Im thinking thats just like a personal case and i highly doubt that would happen to everyone who takes those courses together...
Any thoughts?
Well it's probably going to be a very difficult summer but I am guessing the summer is split in two.

As for me I have some work to do in order to be ready for the 2010 cycle so this summer I am taking.... CHM I & Lab and Physics I & Lab then CHM 2 & Lab and Physics II & Lab. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I have to do what I gotta do.

Maybe it won't be that bad but unless you know you will be dedicated to it I wouldn't suggest that many classes.

About the Ads

Frederico Albin

Yes thats my bulldog :)
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, VA
  1. Pre-Medical
We almost have the same schedule. Im taking bio2/chem2/calculus-trig/History over the summer but I am trying to graduate early and I am comfortable taking 20 credits each semester. If you are trying to graduate early like I am, that's the kind of coursework that you need to take, but if you are not... I would recommend leaving calculus to the next semester.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
  1. Pre-Dental
You're doing this over the summer? That's going to be tough. You cram 15 weeks of work into about 7 weeks. It's bad enough for just 1 class per summer session.

I've been told by my pre-prof advisors (and my school also has a dental school, so I hope they know what they're talking about) that it looks bad to take pre-req classes over the summer unless you absolutely can't avoid it.

Take Bio and Chem during the regular semesters. Calculus and Psych are both easy, so doing those just two over the summer would be better, IMO.

Frederico Albin

Yes thats my bulldog :)
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, VA
  1. Pre-Medical
You're doing this over the summer? That's going to be tough. You cram 15 weeks of work into about 7 weeks. It's bad enough for just 1 class per summer session.

I've been told by my pre-prof advisors (and my school also has a dental school, so I hope they know what they're talking about) that it looks bad to take pre-req classes over the summer unless you absolutely can't avoid it.

Take Bio and Chem during the regular semesters. Calculus and Psych are both easy, so doing those just two over the summer would be better, IMO.

I don't know where you go to school, but my semester lasts 10 weeks, so summer sections are good enough for you to take any class, even pre-requesites.

ummjoey

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
  1. Pre-Dental

agreed. you want to spend more time learning bio and chem because they are going to be covered on the dat.

nevertheless, you seem like a smart guy with a lot of self motivation. if you want to get ahead, then i dont see why anyone should stop you.

i do agree with the others. i think that amount is too much.

why didnt you take chem and bio your first year? i remember i took chem and bio my first year. that would have saved you a lot of head ache.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't know where you go to school, but my semester lasts 10 weeks, so summer sections are good enough for you to take any class, even pre-requesites.

Well, if you take the one extended summer semester, then, yes, those can run 10-12 weeks. But if you're doing the 2 split summer sessions, those are each about 6-7 weeks (13-ish weeks combined).

why didnt you take chem and bio your first year? i remember i took chem and bio my first year. that would have saved you a lot of head ache.

Maybe the OP didn't know what career path to take upon entering college? I didn't decide to go pre-dental until sophomore year - hence, I'm behind in my pre-reqs and have to take GenChem 1 & 2 over the summer. So I have to cram in Orgo, Physics, Cell Bio, Human Phys, and Biochem + 5 remaining psych major courses into my 3 remaining semesters and junior-senior summer (I plan on studying abroad for a semester). If people knew coming into college what they wanted to do, I don't think they'd procrastinate on pre-reqs because it really sucks to cram them in.

ADentalHopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
um, my summer starts may 5 and goes to the second last week of august so there is like 13 weeks of instruction and like 2 weeks for exams roughly.
My psyc teacher's reputation says she doesnt give a final so that might take the load off as long as i keep up with the tons of mid terms.
i dno. I usually get bored in the summer. I just dont want to be killed...
There are accelerated courses, but i dont see the point in that so I wouldnt take any of those. teachers go through material fast enough lol...

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
  1. Dental Student
I'd take calculus over the summer and/or psychology. Biology and Chemistry I wouldn't take over the summer since it is given in an abbreviated and condensed manner. I don't want to shortchange myself on something that is critical for the DAT. I would only take one course during the summer since it is going to be more intense than a regular semester. I took Physics over the summer once.

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't know you, and I don't know how you operate but I think you're overdoing it (honest opinion).

You could have amazing study and time management skills (again, I don't know) but the thought of you dropping your gpa with all that loaded summer crap makes me cringe!

I'd say... drop bio atleast. No doubt you can do the other things, but don't set yourself up.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.