Need opinions on my steps toward attending Medical School in PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hindipilipino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my 3rd year as a Bio major at UCI. I am planning to go to the philippines next summer for 3 months to tour as many medical schools in Luzon as possible. After this I plan on taking the NMAT in October and applying throughout the rest of Fall, Winter and Spring. The problem I have is that if these schools begin in the beginning of June and I graduate at the beginning of June, how will I be able to attend or even apply since most of them want a BS degree when applying? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

bump. interested in responses.

hindipilipino said:
I am going into my 3rd year as a Bio major at UCI. I am planning to go to the philippines next summer for 3 months to tour as many medical schools in Luzon as possible. After this I plan on taking the NMAT in October and applying throughout the rest of Fall, Winter and Spring. The problem I have is that if these schools begin in the beginning of June and I graduate at the beginning of June, how will I be able to attend or even apply since most of them want a BS degree when applying? Thanks for any input.
I think as long as you have all your prerequites (Biology, chem, physics, sociology and psychology) and took the NMAT, you should be able to apply before you graduate. Maybe you can schedule your interviews, that you don't have to take off school for a long time like 1 week or maybe on breaks here in the US ( spring break) I would think that the Phil school would be flexible for a US applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
hindipilipino Hello! I don't think you should worry that much you see, medical schools here in the Phils welcome premeld gradutes from the US, (esp if they have Filipino roots). I am on my internship now. I had a few friends of mine who did their Medicine proper here and I believe they did not encounter any problems at all. Just make sure that before June of 2007, you've already taken the NMAT (It's rather easy. You don't even have to review that much) and have completed the required units (ask about the details) of math, biology, chemistry, physics. (If your premed course is a science course like bio, or zoo, or molec bio, you won't have much problems). Also ask about the reservation fees. If you are attending my university I think they charge it about 2 or 3 months before June. I don't know about other universities. If you have more questions you can just e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for the advice.

Actually I am going into my 3rd you starting in late September so I don't plan on attending Medical school until I graduate in 2008. So should I take the NMATs by June 2008 instead? In the US they hold the test in October, so I should take it next October (2007) right? When should I apply after taking the NMAT? Is it possible to apply completely through a proxy (i.e. a relative) because? I don't think I will be able to go to the philippines while I am finishing up here. When I apply for the schools, when do they notify you if you have been accepted or not? Any answers would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

hindipilipino said:
Thanks for the advice.

Actually I am going into my 3rd you starting in late September so I don't plan on attending Medical school until I graduate in 2008. So should I take the NMATs by June 2008 instead? In the US they hold the test in October, so I should take it next October (2007) right? When should I apply after taking the NMAT? Is it possible to apply completely through a proxy (i.e. a relative) because? I don't think I will be able to go to the philippines while I am finishing up here. When I apply for the schools, when do they notify you if you have been accepted or not? Any answers would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, the earlier you take the NMAT the better. 1 or a couple of years before med skol is ayt. I remember some of by batchmates taking it as early as their 2nd year in college. I think applying through proxy is possible..but you have to take the entrance test (I think it's available in the US if you are planning to go to UST, well, I suggest you do) and they also conduct interviews with interested applicants but I think if you are a foreign student you can schedule it at your preferred time. Good Luck