Need Poster Presentations To Get In A PhD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OasisStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Right now, Im interning for the summer for research experience and will be taking part in a roundtable in presenting my research with other students in my research program at a conference.
Some of us had the opportunity to go and do poster presentations at the conference but I didn't take it seriously as I didn't think it was a big deal. Now, I hear people saying that a poster presentation will matter in any type of research experience.

So my ques is, how important is it to present a poster at a conference? Will my research experience not be taken seriously as I did not present a poster??
(I want to apply to doctoral SP programs).

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess my question would be: What would be the point of doing our research if we all kept it to ourselves?

As a rule of thumb for Ph.D programs, the more research you have, the better. If you have the opportunity to do something, do it! Posters, pubs, conferences, whatever. It all helps. Besides the fact that posters demonstrate that you are actually producing something decent, it demonstrates drive, initiative, and commitment to research. Something programs have to see in their applicants. Poster presentations are also great places to practice public speaking (which is also an assess for grad students) and they provide great networking opportunities. You have the chance to meet psychologists who are in real practice, as well as professors from PH.D programs throughout the country. Talk to them, network, learn about what they do and about the field in general. Let them now you are interested.

Last edited:
You don't need poster presentations to get into PhD programs, but anything that you can add to your CV (especially as first author) is important in the competitive business of applying to graduate school.

If you are offered the opportunity to do a poster again...snatch it up. erg923's comments are well taken. In addition to actually doing the poster, you will get a lot of experience standing by your poster and answering questions/discussing about your research. After all, once you get into to graduate school, this experience will help you be confident about stepping up and presenting your graduate school work, which graduate programs love their students to do. It helps you carve out your niche in academia and/or helps with internship placements...things to think about further down the road.

Good luck.:luck: