Need quick advice!! Blackberry or palm treo for 3rd year?

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by nope80, Dec 29, 2008.

1. nope80

nope80 Resident
    10+ Year Member

Can someone tell me which one is better for third year? Iphone isn't an option since I need to be on verizon.

What are the advantages of each? Are there any programs I will need that won't work for blackberry? Where can I get a list of programs I will need for 3rd year so I can figure out if they are compatible with the blackberry and treo?

Also, if someone could just give me general advice on which is better for 3rd year and the long run I'd appreciate. I need to figure this out within the next few days.

Thanks!!

2. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From what I've heard, there are almost no medical programs for Blackberries. They haven't even come out with Epocrates for iphones yet. I'm pretty sure Epocrates is available for blackberrys

Any Palm with Palm OS has a ton of apps, and Windows Mobile has a decent amount also

3. StatCoder

5+ Year Member

Epocrates Rx, the drug info list, is available from the App Store for iPhone and is free. Other Epocrates tools are most available for Palm OS, some for Windows Mobile, and little to none for Blackberry or iPhone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if you can't do iphone, do palm centro (all the bells and whistles of the more expensive treos without the added cost)

5. Slevin

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is a dictionary app from the App store for the iPhone and iPod touch

6. Mariah246

7+ Year Member

completely medically unrelated but only BB offers push email (not technically accurate but BB does offer the simplest route to push email)

that alone pushed me towards BB

forget the medical apps ;)

7. Slevin

Resident [Any Field]
    The iPhone offers push email as well either via the mobileme or yahoo, not sure if gmail does it though.

8. Phlame217

Phlame217 PGY-1 IM
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I owned a palm treo 680 followed by a 750 and both were excellent phones and having epocrates was always helpful. I currently own a G1, but my 750 stays charged for long trips because the G1 battery life sucks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Mariah246

7+ Year Member

Really? I know the iPhone offers push email via MobileMe and an Exchange server (not really sure what a student would be doing with that) but I hadn't realized Yahoo! mail was push email as well??

I've set up IMAP access for Gmail on my old iPhone which allowed me to pull email onto my phone (not a huge inconvenience) but I really do like the push convenience.

10. Slevin

Resident [Any Field]
    Well my school uses an exchange server for our email. It's actually quite nice.

11. Mariah246

7+ Year Member

:D nice

12. nevinleiby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unfortunately the new Palm Pre uses Sprint....that smartphone looks amazing. I'm really looking to swap my TX for it!!!!

Pre should be out this summer if you wait a bit...