need school list help cGPA 3.89 MCAT 520, ECs not great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porpoise_callosum

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.89, sGPA: 3.85
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 520 (132/129/129/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): OR (family ties to NE, CO, PA, MN)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: public school in CA (good school but not prestigious)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 250 hours in-home caregiving my senior year (paid), ~20 hours nursing home volunteer over one summer
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~50 hours microbiology research (no publications or posters)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~50 hours shadowing: pathology, family medicine, vascular surgery, urology. Some e-shadowing during COVID
Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours over 3 years volunteering with group that provided free fitness testing, also took on a leadership position in this organization, ~10 hours fire relief volunteering

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Employment: ~1000 hours on-campus package center job over 3 years, 500 hours road construction job over one summer, 1000 hours housekeeping/waitressing over two summers (basically worked full time over the summer and part time over the school year to support myself).

800 hours contact tracing (ongoing)

100 hours MCAT tutoring (ongoing)

Extracurriculars: treasurer for AMSA chapter one year, working on yoga instructor certification, reading, hiking, had wilderness first responder certification

Was planning on getting more clinical experience and research over my gap year until COVID happened. Worried that low hours for both of these is going to hurt me. I plan on trying to get some clinical experience over the next year if possible.

Here is my tentative school list. I could use some help adding some schools:

OHSU

U of Colorado

Dartmouth

Drexel

Temple

Boston U

Tufts

Brown

U of Minnesota

Geisinger

Hofstra/Northwell

Rosalind Franklin

SONY Upstate

Will also apply to some DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

IMO your clinical experience looks solid, but i feel like GORO would give a much better interpretation of your stats. Also research is only NECESSARY if your goal is top-20, but your stats (gpa and MCAT) are very good

Your stats are sky high and your EC's look really good? You have good clinical experience/shadowing, good non-clinical volunteering, excellent employment experience (that you can really use in your favor, people love self-supporters and self-starters), good teaching experience, and you've checked the research box. If you want to aim for the top tier research schools, I would try to get some more research experience there but otherwise you have an excellent application and should aim higher.

I would aim for 20-30 schools with your stats. ~5 safeties, ~10 mid-tiers/targets, and 5-10 "top tiers."

Here are some suggestions but not exhaustive, you should look at MSAR and decide for yourself as well:

-Safeties: All your state schools and regional schools that take OOS students, NYMC, Geisinger, Albany, Drexel

-Targets: Einstein, Case Western, Ohio State, Rosalind Franklin, Hofstra, Rochester, Jefferson, Temple, Miami, Georgetown, Dartmouth, George Washington, Boston University, Tufts, Emory, MCW, UWashington, UC Davis, UC Irvine, USC

-Top Tier: NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, Pitt, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, UChicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Penn, Harvard, Yale, Michigan, Stanford

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
U Colorado
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Dartmouth
Hofstra