need serious advice (already in mid of 09 appl. cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nancy0223

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm in the running of the current appl. cycle right now and have miraculously gotten 6 interview invites despite my subpar stats and late appl.:
MCAT: 28O (7 in VR) *(non-URM but english is 2nd language)
cGPA: ~3.6
sGPA:~3.7
However, I have not gotten an acceptance in hand thus far. I'm currently on 4 WLs, and have 2 more schools waiting to hear back from (hopefully none of them will turn out to be rejections). Should I be start thinking about reapplying for the next cycle now? I know this is probably a bad question but what do u think my chances are for getting in this cycle? Your opinion is highly appreciated, thanks very much.

I would start getting ready to re-apply next year, however you will probably get in to one of the school you are wait listed.

Your GPA is fine. The low MCAT could certainly be compensated for by some wow-factor extracurriculars, but as you don't specify them it's hard to comment on that. The verbal score of 7 is a serious handicap, but as you got so many interviews adcomms are obviously willing to overlook it. The greatest waitlist movement will come after May 15. You still have a chance of an acceptance, but it's time to be realistic and start preparing for a potential second application cycle. You need to have a good response to the inevitable question, "How have you improved your application since you last applied?" Retaking the MCAT seems like an obvious answer if you have a chance at improving the verbal section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Mobius,
but if you are on 4 wait lists, I would start pulling out all the stops to try and get an acceptance this year. Try to get one of your LOR writers to write or call one of the schools, especially if one of the LOR writers has some connection to one of the schools, etc. You should write a letter to your top choice school telling them that you really want to go there, will accept if they offer you a spot, and then remind them/update them on what you are doing now if there is anything new.

just got my 5th WL:(, not expecting much from the last school since their matriculants have the highest stats among all the other schools that waitlisted me
thanks for all your suggestions. I have written several LOIs and will be writing more till I get an acceptance. At the meantime, it's probably a good idea to start preparing for the MCAT again :oops:

just got my 5th WL:(, not expecting much from the last school since their matriculants have the highest stats among all the other schools that waitlisted me
thanks for all your suggestions. I have written several LOIs and will be writing more till I get an acceptance. At the meantime, it's probably a good idea to start preparing for the MCAT again :oops:

If you don't mind me asking, are the waitlists all at MD schools or did you apply to DO as well? Also how late did you submit your primary?

If you don't mind me asking, are the waitlists all at MD schools or did you apply to DO as well? Also how late did you submit your primary?

I am now kicking myself for not applying to DO schools :(. So yeah, I'm waitlisted at 5 MD (all low-tier) schools as of now.

I am now kicking myself for not applying to DO schools :(. So yeah, I'm waitlisted at 5 MD (all low-tier) schools as of now.

Any of those schools known to look favorably upon a letter of intent?

Any of them close enough to where you live to make a visit and ask to see the dean of admissions to make your interest known.

I agree with what was said earlier - pull out all the stops and enlist the help of others.

you dont have to take the mcat again if you apply for DO next year....im sure you will be a shoe-in. If i were you, I would reapply to the 6 schools and apply to the top-notch DO schools

OP I'm in the same situation as you... 6 waitlists no acceptances. Kind of opposite stats... high MCAT, low gpa. Also kicking myself in the ass for not applying DO. As far as getting off the waitlists, I agree with the advice given so far. Write LOIs. Do more clinical work and make sure you highlight it in the LOIs. Get an additional LOR, get a physician to call the school on your behalf.

As far as your chances, I know a bunch of people (on here and otherwise) that have gotten in after being placed on a number of waitlists. I'm confident for both of us. GL.