need serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabe_Dr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's like this... I heard that you should major in something you like so you have a backup plan in case med school doesn't work, so I'm an engineering major right now. But the classes are really hell and not what I expected. I kind of half-assed my first 2 years (2nd year student), so I was going to change majors (to psych., also kind of interesting to me) and do a post-bac premed program after I graduate. How do you guys think this would look to med schools, assuming good grades in the post-bac premed program and say, 28 on the MCAT? I mean, I could get in somewhere, right? I'll go to the most sh*tbag med school, I just want to be a doctor. I've been looking at other forums and getting into med school sounds a lot harder than I thought. Thanks for reading this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup you should major in that which you like for it is the best way to get good grades and have fun. If you are totally sick of engineering then change majors, if it comes up in your interviews be honest about it. You have to make sure that if you do change your major that you kick bootie on your classes though, what would look bad is that you changed majors and still managed to get borderline grades. Good luck!

First come grades... if there are several things you are interested in, do whichever will get you the better grades. If you can pull a 3.4+... and get a 28+ (emphasis on the +) then I think you'd be in good shape.

Good luck :)

P.s. The general rule is... the higher your gpa, the less perfect your MCAT score has to be... and vice versa... you just can't be weak in both. So in other words, if you get a 3.6 gpa, then your MCAT can be more like a 28 or 27.

Definitely switching to what makes you happy is the best thing to do, because happiness can then lead to more productivity. Post bac programs wont really mind what your MCAT score is, and neither will the med school that may be affiliated with that program (if you end up going to one of that sort). Other med schools, though, will want to see a good MCAT. Set your goals for the MCAT high, because you never know how well you just might do. 28+ is a safe bet though (if your GPA is high as the others said)