Need Serious Help with MCAT Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMich

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm taking the MCAT in spring of 2020. Due to work and school, I will be studying over the course of 9 months. With that being said, I need help with what I should study with. I have the 2019-2020 Kaplan 7 book set. I started with that. After looking through the Gen. Chem book, I see a lot of reading and concepts. Do I need to memorize everything and every formula? Also what other resources do you recommend? I heard the Berkeley review is good, but where is the latest version? Any tips, resources, and advice would be highly appreciated. I don't really have anyone to discuss this stuff with in person.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Thank you for your question. If you're still looking into resources, you can take a look at our free practice bundle to get a feel for our practice passages and exams! There is a link to it in my signature.

I think what's important is to read the content and then reinforce it with practice problems so you fully understand how to implement what you learned. Also, seeing what all of the different problems ask will give you a feel for the depth at which you should understand a topic. After you have gone through content and third-party practice exams and passages, it is necessary to do all of the aamc material. This is the most representative material available and it's a must to do all of it to put yourself in the best position to obtain a good score. I hope that helps and if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

Ok so I'm taking the MCAT in spring of 2020. Due to work and school, I will be studying over the course of 9 months. With that being said, I need help with what I should study with. I have the 2019-2020 Kaplan 7 book set. I started with that. After looking through the Gen. Chem book, I see a lot of reading and concepts. Do I need to memorize everything and every formula? Also what other resources do you recommend? I heard the Berkeley review is good, but where is the latest version? Any tips, resources, and advice would be highly appreciated. I don't really have anyone to discuss this stuff with in person.

It is hard to study for 9 months. Break that time up into three periods where you prepare to study by looking at the AAMC guide and casually make notes on major concepts. Then start your second block of time by making passages your primary resource, The last part should be AAMC and FLs. In those nine months, you must have at least three months of focused time where all you do is MCAT.

I will vouch for TBR sciences as being great, especially their passages and explanations. I got 132s in C/P and B/B because I powered through everything and learned their strategies and test tricks. I bought my books directly from them, which I believe is the only way to get the current editions. I couldn't find new books anywhere else. I do not recommend their CARS or P/S unless you have exhausted other sources of passages.