1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need Solid Advice. Thank You and Bless You

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Premed2112, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Premed2112

Sci GPA is 3.49, Cum GPA is 3.69
    2 Seperate Shadowing Experiences for cum of ~200 hours
    2 Seperate Hospital Volunteering for cum of ~60 hours
    No Research
    A little bit of community
    A little bit of leadership
    Maryland Resident, applied to 24 not top notch schools

My MCAT is this Saturday Aug 6th and I wanted to know, if I got a 28 or 29 on the MCAT what is my chances of getting into medical school...Do I even have a shot? ( I know 100% sure that I can pull at least a 28 or 29)

My second question is, lets say that I know that I don't feel like I did well and know that I can pull a 30-31 if I void my exam Aug 6th and retake it Aug 23rd...Would that be advisable? (The Aug 23rd score release date is Sept 27th whereas the Aug 6th release date is Sept 7th) Which scenario would give me a better shot at medical school.

Thank you so much for any feedback!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    focus on your MCAT, don't even go to this thread until you are done.

Kill the MCAT and then we can discuss your chances.

4. ps9891

5+ Year Member

Agreed. Focus on doing your best this Saturday, and then consider the rest. IMO, I don't see how you could be so certain that you could pull up your score in less than a month if you took the test Saturday and felt you had to cancel your score (no offense or anything). Also, would it even be possible to get a seat so late for the Aug 23rd exam?

Just focus on your MCAT, then while you're waiting for your score, work on your PS and work/activities list for AMCAS and then go from there.

Good luck this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xf:

5. Premed2112

i'll definitely give it my all. The thing is I can gauge how I did from exam to exam, and my scores range from 28-32 on AAMC prractice tests depending on the material and how I'm feeling. So my question is if I felt like I got a 29 would I be better off voiding my score which would come back on September 7th and retake it at a date where I would get my score back september 27th? (given I do slightly better on the later test date) My AMCAS is already submitted the only thing my application is waiting on is my MCAT score.

6. studmuffin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lets just say your chances are far from shot.

7. Missorleans

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Don't void your scores for this upcoming test unless something goes horribly wrong, you get sick, your computer stops working, something like that.
    How you feel coming out of the test is no indication of how you actually did. Practice tests are a better indication. Some schools take your highest grade, some schools take your most recent.
    Focus on studying for this MCAT, get a good night's sleep before, don't pull an all-nighter.

With good reqs, average gpa, and lots of healthcare experience, a 28, 29 MCAT is not anything to worry about at state schools, especially in-state.