Need Some Advice - 3 Majors and Never Graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ae29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so long time lurker and reader but first time poster.
I am done with my Junior year today.

I was undecided until a quarter into my Freshman year, and now I'm going for a Bachelors of Med. Science in Physiology (considered in the college of medicine here), a BA in Ethical Philosophy and I'm bumping psych from a minor to a BS major due to my sheer love of and talent for it. I'm getting a minor in Hispanic studies, and due to the PSIO major, they'd give me a biochem minor for nothing.

I'm a 5'11 blonde, white-skinned female, but I'm maternally Spanish and have a Hispanic last name so I'm going with URM because it's what I identify as.

So here's the kicker, I still need to take molec. and cellular bio, 2 semesters of integrated cellular psio, 2 semesters of biochem, and 3 classes of upper level psio (repro, cardio, endocrine, etc..) so I'm planning on taking a 5th year but idk if that will be enough. I also want to take a year or so to do the MCAT and applications after that.

As far as grades I suck. I pretty much have a 3.0 rn
Gen chem 1: C
Grade replaced Gen chem 1: D (yeah...)
Gen Chem 2: B
Ecology: C
Physio 1: B
Physio 2: C
Honors Organic chem 1: B (Lab: C)
Honors Organic chem 2: F (Lab: C) (just took this, want to retake it asap)
Physics 1 and 2: A, but it's college credit I got in High School
I have like 4 W's as well

I have severe ADHD but I don't want to be stigmatized against so I don't want to say anything.

I currently volunteer in a hospital, I'm in the honors college, I'm the membership director for AMSA 2017-2018, and I'm on the Academic Review Board for my sorority. I also have done psychology research and am getting into more psych research this next year dealing with health disparities in the hispanic community.

My philosophy and psychology GPA is like a 3.8, the science classes murder me and I know that's a bad thing. I've done the calculations and I can still get out of here with a 3.55-ish. Ideally I'd like to do a post bacc thing with just sciences so med schools can see I can do science. I feel like if I can do 2 years with a really strong GPA (upward trend), then some science post-bacc, along with more extracurriculars and a good MCAT I'll be alright, but I'd like any advice you guys have for me.

I'm in Arizona, and I do not want to go DO (it's a hard no for me please don't bring it up.), I'd really like to go to the UA Med School.

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

European Hispanics are not UiM. Language skills are appreciated, though.
Science and overall gpa's are considered, not the gpa in a major.
You might want to use the AMCAS gpa calculator in the sticky that precedes WAMC. With what you have shown, your science gpa appears to be lower than 3.0.
With a strong showing in two more years of undergrad courses and a good MCAT you may have a chance at your state public schools (depending on your state of residence).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for your reply, is there anything that's preventing me, ethically, from declaring white and hispanic on my apps though? Not trying to turn this into a URM fight thread (lol) but statistics are statistics...

Members don't see this ad :)
Drop 1-2 of those majors and get those grades in check asap

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe BS Psychology and keep the science classes As.

Thank you for your reply, is there anything that's preventing me, ethically, from declaring white and hispanic on my apps though? Not trying to turn this into a URM fight thread (lol) but statistics are statistics...
You may identify as anything you prefer. The school will determine whether or not you are UiM. It is not based on surname. You need to prepare for the likelihood that a European Hispanic will not be considered under-represented.

Reactions: 5 users

You can check those boxes, but it won't help you. The statistics you reference only apply to under-represented applicants, and you don't fall into that category, which will be clear to adcoms from your appearance. The language skills are great, though, and will be helpful in your career!

Reactions: 1 user
Drop 1-2 of those majors and get those grades in check asap
The Philosophy one is done though, I could have graduated this semester with it.. I'm a couple classes away from the psych one and the psych classes are the only things that are keeping me from complete physio-hatred fueled burnout :/

You're probably going to have to enroll in a post-bac program (C and D in gen chem 1, C in phys, C's in Ochem labs and Failed Ochem 2... you don't really see that in allopathic medical schools without a post-bac to make up for it). It sounds like you took on too many majors, but you could probably turn that into a great personal statement about learning from your mistakes. If you're not in the top 10% for MCAT, you likely won't get an interview at UA, even if you get a 4.0 from here on out. The foundation of medicine is basic science. You gotta get those basic science scores up, plain and simple.

It's not just a Hispanic box you check off. You also check off which nationality you identify with (i.e. Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc). Nothing is stopping you from checking the Hispanic box but those statistics still aren't going to help you.

Most med schools don't accept AP credits also

I'm a 5'11 blonde, white-skinned female, but I'm maternally Spanish and have a Hispanic last name so I'm going with URM because it's what I identify as.
:rolleyes:

Serious question to adcoms: I'm white, but go to school in the inner city. I'm rather well established amongst the local inhabitants, where I'm known by my street name 'ursus' - my genus classification. Can I list myself as URM?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to ask: why do you so strongly apose DO?

psych classes are the only things that are keeping me from complete physio-hatred fueled burnout :/
This statement is worrying, I don't know how anyone could get through medical school if they hate and are getting burnout from undergrad physiology. Do you enjoy science? If not you will probably be very disappointed in medicine. How many credits have you amassed? Unless you're on a full scholarship I would only take what you need to finish. ADCOMs aren't impressed by infinite majors and minors, they're asking "can this person handle our curriculum?" and your sGPA tells them no. Acid/bases don't stop being acid/bases just because they're in your kidney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
My first thought on reading your extensive list of majors and minors was "Doesn't this student know what s/he wants?" So it's as likely to work against you as for you. Also, since you're struggling with your GPA, it might look like GPA-padding.

I'd concur with the "graduate now and take post-bac science classes" crowd. And please don't ignore @Staphylococcus Aureus excellent observation that if you are struggling with your UG science classes, medical school may not be the best fit for you.

Re: the URM thing, it's typically defined as Latinx, not Hispanic (thus including Portuguese-speaking Brazil and excluding European Spain). But this is just generally, not the AMCAS guidelines. Do it if you want, but don't bank on being counted URM.

You're not URM and your odds of MD admit are currently zero - you're sitting on a ~2.4 sGPA with a bunch of withdraws to boot.

Reactions: 6 users
You need to do like,two years of a 3.7+ GPA. Also, you can't afford to turn up your nose at DO. At least you'll still get to be a doc. Also, for the next two years I'd drop the other majors and stick to physiology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
This statement is worrying, I don't know how anyone could get through medical school if they hate and are getting burnout from undergrad physiology. Do you enjoy science? If not you will probably be very disappointed in medicine. How many credits have you amassed? Unless you're on a full scholarship I would only take what you need to finish. ADCOMs aren't impressed by infinite majors and minors, they're asking "can this person handle our curriculum?" and your sGPA tells them no. Acid/bases don't stop being acid/bases just because they're in your kidney.
I know. It worries me too. I enjoy the labs and the classes, and I can explain the material to other students in front of TAs with their affirmation, then get Ds on the test. I go in to talk to the professor and they tell me that I have the understanding but either misunderstood the test question or whatever. I hate that. I have had private tutors for all the science classes, like multiple times a week tutors and everything is great until I get that test grade back.

I do enjoy science but I don't know how to improve here.

Should I be retaking these science classes?

I am on a scholarship and I need to do 30 credits a year to keep it.

:rolleyes:

Serious question to adcoms: I'm white, but go to school in the inner city. I'm rather well established amongst the local inhabitants, where I'm known by my street name 'ursus' - my genus classification. Can I list myself as URM?
C'mon dude, you know the difference between race and ethnicity right?

Reactions: 2 users
I know. It worries me too. I enjoy the labs and the classes, and I can explain the material to other students in front of TAs with their affirmation, then get Ds on the test. I go in to talk to the professor and they tell me that I have the understanding but either misunderstood the test question or whatever. I hate that. I have had private tutors for all the science classes, like multiple times a week tutors and everything is great until I get that test grade back.

I do enjoy science but I don't know how to improve here.

Should I be retaking these science classes?

I am on a scholarship and I need to do 30 credits a year to keep it.

No advice on retaking or whatever (though generally the advice isn't to retake as it no longer replaces), but I have a similar thing in genChem (as a Freshman). I can explain concepts to other students, my professor says I'm studying the rights ways, but I just have an academic blind spot on mathematical word problems specifically, which is 80% of our grade. I've been able to keep my grade up (especially after figuring out this was the problem), but I get the whole 'my grade isn't showing my understanding' thing. That being said, I have my other science to make up for it. Step one, I would say, is to figure out what the problem is. Are you taking too many classes? Do you have a blind spot like me? Are you studying in an inefficient way? Or do you just really not like science?

Retakes, Master's, and med school itself all have to come after figuring out what the problem is. Otherwise, it's just going to be more of the same.

You had private tutors with all of these courses? If you put in full effort, sought help, and still pulled Cs and Ds you need to have a critical conversation with your professors /academic counsellors to find out what is going wrong. It won't magically get better in a masters program unless you identify and treat the problem. You should also start thinking about other options, there's more ways to help others and have a great career than just medicine, and a part of becoming and staying a physician is taking high stakes science exams.

No advice on retaking or whatever (though generally the advice isn't to retake as it no longer replaces), but I have a similar thing in genChem (as a Freshman). I can explain concepts to other students, my professor says I'm studying the rights ways, but I just have an academic blind spot on mathematical word problems specifically, which is 80% of our grade. I've been able to keep my grade up (especially after figuring out this was the problem), but I get the whole 'my grade isn't showing my understanding' thing. That being said, I have my other science to make up for it. Step one, I would say, is to figure out what the problem is. Are you taking too many classes? Do you have a blind spot like me? Are you studying in an inefficient way? Or do you just really not like science?

Retakes, Master's, and med school itself all have to come after figuring out what the problem is. Otherwise, it's just going to be more of the same.
Thank you for replying and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do (did) tend to load myself up too much (19, 21 credits) and I'm no longer doing that bc I feel like it just hurts me. I got an A in bio lab from just going in and talking with the TA every single time she could. The D in my 2nd gen chem and C's in the O chem labs are from not turning things in and missing major deadlines (which I've struggled with since high school, I'd probably have had a 4.0 in high school if I didn't have that).
I'm not entirely sure how to go from here. I'm retaking O chem 2 and taking the lecture to the bio lab I got an A in so we'll see how it goes... I guess I don't have to bump psychology to a major but I LOVE it so I don't know what to do. If I could do it all over again I'd be a psychology or public health major like every other pre med at my university.

Thank you for replying and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do (did) tend to load myself up too much (19, 21 credits) and I'm no longer doing that bc I feel like it just hurts me. I got an A in bio lab from just going in and talking with the TA every single time she could. The D in my 2nd gen chem and C's in the O chem labs are from not turning things in and missing major deadlines (which I've struggled with since high school, I'd probably have had a 4.0 in high school if I didn't have that).
I'm not entirely sure how to go from here. I'm retaking O chem 2 and taking the lecture to the bio lab I got an A in so we'll see how it goes... I guess I don't have to bump psychology to a major but I LOVE it so I don't know what to do. If I could do it all over again I'd be a psychology or public health major like every other pre med at my university.

This may be related to your ADHD. It sounds like not saying anything isn't working for you, and D's in prerequisites are going to hurt you a lot more than the stigma (which can be largely avoided by not telling random people that you're confidentially seeing a mental health professional or receiving accomodations).

I have a thing like that--I love politics but I might not even pursue it as a minor. Exploring it academically is enough, I don't have to meet the requirements. I just have to get into medical school. How are you planning on solving your deadline problem? Recognizing the problem was step 1; now you need a plan (with backups and failsafes!) to solve it.

This may be related to your ADHD. It sounds like not saying anything isn't working for you, and D's in prerequisites are going to hurt you a lot more than the stigma (which can be largely avoided by not telling random people that you're confidentially seeing a mental health professional or receiving accomodations).
Yeah I just got seen by a psychiatrist late this semester and she was like, yeah you've got severe ADHD, so I registered with the DRC which gave me some help but I was still experimenting with drugs this semester (Ritalin is the devil btw).. I feel like it has helped bc it gives me extensions sometimes... as far as the stigma, I was referring to medical schools as I wouldn't want to put it in my personal statement to avoid the discrimination.

I have a thing like that--I love politics but I might not even pursue it as a minor. Exploring it academically is enough, I don't have to meet the requirements. I just have to get into medical school. How are you planning on solving your deadline problem? Recognizing the problem was step 1; now you need a plan (with backups and failsafes!) to solve it.
When I complete the work with someone, I usually override the ADHD and don't need the adrenaline to get it done.. so I've started doing it in groups or with the TA or trying to do it with tutors bc I've figured that helps A LOT than doing it by myself. As far as tests go, I'm not sure how to approach improving.

Ok, so long time lurker and reader but first time poster.
I am done with my Junior year today.

I was undecided until a quarter into my Freshman year, and now I'm going for a Bachelors of Med. Science in Physiology (considered in the college of medicine here), a BA in Ethical Philosophy and I'm bumping psych from a minor to a BS major due to my sheer love of and talent for it. I'm getting a minor in Hispanic studies, and due to the PSIO major, they'd give me a biochem minor for nothing.

So here's the kicker, I still need to take molec. and cellular bio, 2 semesters of integrated cellular psio, 2 semesters of biochem, and 3 classes of upper level psio (repro, cardio, endocrine, etc..) so I'm planning on taking a 5th year but idk if that will be enough. I also want to take a year or so to do the MCAT and applications after that.

As far as grades I suck. I pretty much have a 3.0 rn
Gen chem 1: C
Grade replaced Gen chem 1: D (yeah...)
Gen Chem 2: B
Ecology: C
Physio 1: B
Physio 2: C
Honors Organic chem 1: B (Lab: C)
Honors Organic chem 2: F (Lab: C) (just took this, want to retake it asap)
Physics 1 and 2: A, but it's college credit I got in High School
I have like 4 W's as well

I have severe ADHD but I don't want to be stigmatized against so I don't want to say anything.

I currently volunteer in a hospital, I'm in the honors college, I'm the membership director for AMSA 2017-2018, and I'm on the Academic Review Board for my sorority. I also have done psychology research and am getting into more psych research this next year dealing with health disparities in the hispanic community.

My philosophy and psychology GPA is like a 3.8, the science classes murder me and I know that's a bad thing. I've done the calculations and I can still get out of here with a 3.55-ish. Ideally I'd like to do a post bacc thing with just sciences so med schools can see I can do science. I feel like if I can do 2 years with a really strong GPA (upward trend), then some science post-bacc, along with more extracurriculars and a good MCAT I'll be alright, but I'd like any advice you guys have for me.

I'm in Arizona, and I do not want to go DO (it's a hard no for me please don't bring it up.), I'd really like to go to the UA Med School.

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post.

My thoughts:
1. Can you get into a post bacc program with your current GPA?
2. Prioritize your GPA over course load and number of majors. To my understanding, most if not all, MD schools screen first by GPA and MCAT. GPA will probably be broken into cumulative whole GPA and "science STEM GPA" with the classes that qualify to be included in that strictly defined by AAMC and medical schools.
3. Consider trying medication for your ADHD if you haven't already. Some people swear by Ritalin and similar substances that enhance academic and athletic performance, but may have downsides.
4. Look into Texas MD programs and their entrance requirements if you haven't already.
5. There are many white Hispanics, so I don't see any problem there. Hispanic is defined as an ethnicity and not a race; plus, to my understanding, Spain itself is primarily white.
6. If you speak excellent Spanish, consider Caribbean programs. Some seem to be much better than others as there are many horror stories on here, but I have worked with MD fellows at Mass General (a top Harvard-affiliated hospital) that graduated from the Caribbean and say that speaking excellent Spanish helped them get ahead. If you do that, or are doing that, just be careful and choose wisely.

Yeah I just got seen by a psychiatrist late this semester and she was like, yeah you've got severe ADHD, so I registered with the DRC which gave me some help but I was still experimenting with drugs this semester (Ritalin is the devil btw).. I feel like it has helped bc it gives me extensions sometimes... as far as the stigma, I was referring to medical schools as I wouldn't want to put it in my personal statement to avoid the discrimination.
Several semesters of excellent grades, plus a nice MCAT will allay any concerns that Adcoms have to students with ADD/ADHD. As of right now you have so many deficits and issues that I think it's better to look seriously at Plan B.

My thoughts:
2. Prioritize your GPA over course load and number of majors. To my understanding, most if not all, MD schools screen first by GPA and MCAT. GPA will probably be broken into cumulative whole GPA and "science STEM GPA" with the classes that qualify to be included in that strictly defined by AAMC and medical schools.
3. Consider trying medication for your ADHD if you haven't already. Some people swear by Ritalin and similar substances that enhance academic and athletic performance, but may have downsides.
4. Look into Texas MD programs and their entrance requirements if you haven't already.
5. There are many white Hispanics, so I don't see any problem there. Hispanic is defined as an ethnicity and not a race; plus, to my understanding, Spain itself is primarily white.
6. If you speak excellent Spanish, consider Caribbean programs. Some seem to be much better than others as there are many horror stories on here, but I have worked with MD fellows at Mass General (a top Harvard-affiliated hospital) that graduated from the Caribbean and say that speaking excellent Spanish helped them get ahead. If you do that, or are doing that, just be careful and choose wisely.
Thank you for your reply. I would be looking at a post bacc in 2 years. I've tried adderall with no effects at all and Ritalin made me depressed and knocked me out. So I'm trying to find something that works.
Why would Texas MD programs be better than my in-state Arizona ones? I've worked closely with UA med school and gone through their MMIs a few times as well. Plus, I mean, it's not a top tier med school, it's kinda a bottom tier, which I am totally ok with. But why Texas, especially OOS?
Thank you

Several semesters of excellent grades, plus a nice MCAT will allay any concerns that Adcoms have to students with ADD/ADHD. As of right now you have so many deficits and issues that I think it's better to look seriously at Plan B.
By Plan B you mean...?

You're not URM and your odds of MD admit are currently zero - you're sitting on a ~2.4 sGPA with a bunch of withdraws to boot.
It's kinda hard to make a case for admit as a urm with 2.4 either. So the urm debate is moot.

My thoughts:
People who come out of the Caribbean as doctors have generally had recent strong performance but have something in their application which they can't overcome to gain US MD or DO admission (but which won't prevent them from succeeding academically in the future or getting a license). OP does not match that description and has not demonstrated that she would be likely to succeed at a Carib.

I agree with you all. There's no way I would try to apply right now, I don't feel ready at all and I'm not even done with 4 years of college. I guess I was just wondering if after a few years of getting my cGPA up and sGPA up, along with a post bacc, I'd have a chance for an in-state lower tier med school, with about a 3.5 cGPA or would the poor grades in my science classes not be made up for by a science post bacc.

UPDATE: grades came in and I got a D not an F in O Chem, should I still retake it?

UPDATE: grades came in and I got a D not an F in O Chem, should I still retake it?
Yeah . You need at least a C in all pre reqs.Some schools require a C+.

Should you retake it at some point in time? Yes.

You should not, however, register to retake it immediately. You need to determine what is going wrong in your science classes and fix that before you even think about retaking any classes. Retaking and getting a less than ideal grade will just be another severe blow to your application.

Thank you for your reply. I would be looking at a post bacc in 2 years. I've tried adderall with no effects at all and Ritalin made me depressed and knocked me out. So I'm trying to find something that works.
Why would Texas MD programs be better than my in-state Arizona ones? I've worked closely with UA med school and gone through their MMIs a few times as well. Plus, I mean, it's not a top tier med school, it's kinda a bottom tier, which I am totally ok with. But why Texas, especially OOS?
Thank you

Texas MD acceptance is highly GPA dependent. Seeing as how you're lacking in that department, I would say your chances are slim with Texas.

Texas MD acceptance is highly GPA dependent. Seeing as how you're lacking in that department, I would say your chances are slim with Texas.

Right, idk why Texas, Texas isn't on my radar lol

1. Self-reflect on weather or not med school is really the path you want to aim for, because it will be a long uphill battle. Second chances this late in the game do happen, but they are costly, emotionally and financially. Also the fight doesn't end once you get accepted, C=MD is no longer the formula. And honestly my initial impression is that you may have an idealized version of being a doctor that will be disappointing to you even if successful.
2. Repeat: fix the academic issue before diving into anything else. You need to get As in repeats, Bs are not enough, and perform well in a post bacc if you do one. Getting a 3.0 in a SMP is worthless.
3. I think many of us would like to hear your answer to why not DO

What could possibly be so wrong with the DO route for you to not consider it?

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using SDN mobile

You are right that it has nothing to do with race. Hispanics are only UiM if they are representative of an under-served group (such as Mexican-Americans or mainland Puerto Ricans). OP can certainly self-describe as Hispanic but the description is not likely to help the application as Spaniards do not represent an under-served community.

TX is a poor choice for most non-Texans (esp. with a weak gpa). FreshStart is for an entirely different situation.

The "Caribbean" schools are taught in English and their target demographic has nothing to do with Spanish-speaking communities. The Puerto Rican schools are located in the Caribbean but are LCME-accredited US MD schools. They are committed to providing care to under-served Spanish-speaking communities (especially PR communities).

Wait, so you have four C's, two D's, and transfer credit from high school physics? I would strongly consider tackling your ADHD's impact on your performance and lessening your workload before you do anything else. Please don't assume you will get straight A's from here on out, as that is a highly unrealistic goal to achieve, especially with mol bio, cell bio, and two semesters of advanced biochem ahead of you. Tackling three majors purely because you're "interested" in the subjects will not impress adcoms if your GPA suffers as a result.

If by Spanish background, you mean from Spain, I highly doubt adcoms will consider that as URM, although fluency in the language is a benefit by itself and your ability to communicate with latin-american communities will be a huge asset.

AMCAS does not calculate GPA with grade replacements, so if you manage to pull off a 3.55 with an upward trend by graduation, that will be incredible (I still have no idea how that would work). Coupled with a strong MCAT (510+?), you would be a good candidate.

Lastly, you opened the can of worms with your anti-DO stance. Why not DO?

Reactions: 3 users