Need some advice about my EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my current background,

Graduated June 2004 from UC Irvine in Electrical Engineering, Cum Laude. I'm finishing up my prereqs, mainly bio and ochem classes at a JC and should have around a cum GPA of 3.75, science 3.8. I interned for 2 years as an electrical engineer at a biomedical device company (Advanced Medical Optics) through a scholarship program at my school. I was in (2) Engineering Honor Societies and Recruitment Chair then President of a social Fraternity(where I've learned alot). I volunteered about 50 hours at a hospital taking care of patients which I really enjoyed. I am studying for the August MCAT and will apply this summer. I am currently doing paid biomedical engineering research under the Director/Professor of a well known Laser Institute at UC Irinve. I work on this machine that noninvasively analyzes tissues and will eventually use it on patients with mitochondrial diseases. This is eventually want I'd want to do which is to be a practicing physician that works with researchers to further improve the technologies in medicine.

Here's my question, do I need to do more to show med schools that I want to pursue a career in medicine? Volunteer more in a hospital? Tutor others? If I had the time I would do a whole bunch of other things, but I am currently supporting myself entirely and limited with time. My time is spent on research, finishing up my prereqs, and studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

You've obviously got a lot of research and stuff, but I'm not seeing much volunteering, clinical experience, shadowing, or the like. Fifty hours isn't bad, but I got that much in one week this month by working.

TheProwler said:
You've obviously got a lot of research and stuff, but I'm not seeing much volunteering, clinical experience, shadowing, or the like. Fifty hours isn't bad, but I got that much in one week this month by working.

i'd agree. the clinical experience could probably be a little stronger. maybe you could work just a few hours a week at the hospital over the course of a few months. i'm sure that would probably at least double the number of hours you already have.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should I do because the time from now till I apply to med school I will not have time to volunteer at a hospital. I could certainly start volunteering again after I take the MCAT, but I won't be able to put it down in my apps. Or would that still help me out somehow?

I'm with the others on clinical experience and some volunteer work.

Don't know if this counts as volunteering, but my involvements in fraternity has been very influential in decisions as a doctor. Besides taking care of the business, the best joys as President was mentoring many of the underclassmen on how to get involved on campus, on the importance and how to succeed in academics, and on making sure they concentrate on their futures. Seeing many of them make a change for the better is what I've enjoyed. Thanks for the replies and I will push to do more volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor which would be good for myself.

Gonzo12164 said:
What should I do because the time from now till I apply to med school I will not have time to volunteer at a hospital. I could certainly start volunteering again after I take the MCAT, but I won't be able to put it down in my apps. Or would that still help me out somehow?

since you're taking the mcat in august, you still have a little time to prepare, so maybe you could manage to spare 4 hours in the evening one day a week to volunteer.

gonzo, i'm a fellow uci student, 2nd year to be exact, and i was wondering what your science and cumulative gpa were to get the cum laude honors. if i am correct, you get the honors for graduation based upon your cumulative gpa??

bbaek said:
gonzo, i'm a fellow uci student, 2nd year to be exact, and i was wondering what your science and cumulative gpa were to get the cum laude honors. if i am correct, you get the honors for graduation based upon your cumulative gpa??

Well I got the Cum Laude in Enigneering. I am not fully sure, but I think they somehow average your cum GPA and Engineering GPA. Cum Laude is top 12% of your graduating class. Usually, a 3.7 - 3.8 would get you cum laude.

As far as clinical goes, I wanted to further explain what I do at my research. My main project is to eventually use our diagnostic device to analyze patients with mitochondrial disease. Not only will I be using the device on the patients, I will be analyzing the test results. I am starting out my research by analyzing muscle physiology to make sure I am getting the results that I should be getting. However, in order to get the machine to do what I need it to do, I am designing a new probe that will make taking data easier and increase the signal to noise ratio. I am also learning about other ways in which our device is currently used in medicine. I've been working there for about half a year and will continue there until medical school(about 14 months), well that's if I get in.

Gonzo12164 said:
As far as clinical goes, I wanted to further explain what I do at my research. My main project is to eventually use our diagnostic device to analyze patients with mitochondrial disease. Not only will I be using the device on the patients, I will be analyzing the test results. I am starting out my research by analyzing muscle physiology to make sure I am getting the results that I should be getting. However, in order to get the machine to do what I need it to do, I am designing a new probe that will make taking data easier and increase the signal to noise ratio. I am also learning about other ways in which our device is currently used in medicine. I've been working there for about half a year and will continue there until medical school(about 14 months), well that's if I get in.

That would all count as research, not clinical. On your AMCAS application, you need to differentiate between volunteering-non-medical/clinical, and volunteering-medical/clinical, and research. As for clinical, I agree with the above posters, you should see if you can put in a 3-4 hour shift at a local hospital/clinic for the next 6 months or so. The Frat stuff will go under the leadership category.

Gonzo12164 said:
Thanks for all the advice

Volunteer or shadow in a hospital on Saturday; they need people then too. 7 or 8 hours once a week for several months adds up to a lot of time and will be an opportunity for you to see what the clinical end of medicine is all about and it will also help you to grow in other ways tha tyou have not yet explored. best of luck; otherwise your experince and app is superb. :thumbup: