Need some advice / brainstorming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldfatman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was promoted to department head a while ago. I am wondering where do I go from here? CMO/VPMA seems unlikely since I am in a non-clinical specialty (pathology).

I have heard the phrase "the quickest way to CEO is to start your own company", but starting one seems a bit far fetched at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Im only an MD/MBA candidate right now- but for the sake of brainstorming being in a non-clinical speciality may actually be an asset - I say this because you may be able to have more flexible hours and work-life balance to pick up admin duties or start your own company for that matter. Thoughts?

Also, the MD MBA Association has some great articles profiling physicians going into executive positions etc... here http://www.mdmbas.com/ForMDMBACandidates/ArticlesandResources/

Nice website. I think I would be more inclined to go my own way and start something new than to join the executive ranks. There's a lot of "fluff" over there.

agreed - at your level that would probably be more feasible...