Need some advice - Can I maximize chances in TX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been a SDN-lurker for some time now, and decided to finally create an account today! Fingers crossed for some helpful suggestions :xf:

I'm a non-trad who graduated in 2015, and I'm preparing my apps for this coming cycle. I know it's difficult as OOS, but I wish to go to a Texas school if I can. My family, siblings, and significant other all live in Texas and I am also applying to jobs there for my gap year as that's ultimately where I'd like to be. Not because of the tuition, but because it's essentially home for me...home is where the family is right? :)

How can I better improve my chances at the Texas schools? I haven't taken the MCAT, but have competitive GPA and extra-curriculars. I will apply day one when TMDSAS opens. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do. Should I indicate in my application about how I have strong family ties to the state? will they consider family or a significant other?

I know I shouldn't be pinning my hopes on one state or one school, but I welcome tips from any OOSers who got into TX or SDNers knowledgeable about this type of thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Texas schools like OOSers with high stats. That's basically all I know about OOSers who have been able to get in here. It's good advice for any school you plan to apply to, but do very well on the MCAT. Baylor is of course your best chance with the highest OOS %-age of any TX school.

Honestly, the number one thing you could do to improve your chances in Texas would be to take another year off after working for a year in TX and apply as a TX resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since you are Non-Traditional, has competitive GPA, and OOS, I think you have a great chance for acceptance in medical school. However, keep in mind, public TX typically accepts 90% Instate applicants. You just have to work harder and get a competitive MCAT scores. In the mean time, I recommend you pre-write your personal statement and some of the secondaries for Texas school. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Many secondaries in Texas allow you to describe any ties you have to Texas or their region within Texas. I grew up literally a stone's throw from Texas and went to a big university in Texas for undergrad and was able to get a few acceptances. My stats were pretty average as well. If you can explain well your ties, I would say you are in decent shape. Of course, you are facing tough odds applying OOS to Texas, but so is everybody else in that situation.

Honestly, the number one thing you could do to improve your chances in Texas would be to take another year off after working for a year in TX and apply as a TX resident.
You can absolutely do this. Look up the rules on TMSDAS for qualifying as a Texas resident. If you live and work in Texas for a year or more you can qualify. Study for the MCAT during that year.
---Edited to add link to Texas Residency rules from TMSDAS site. Note that under Option 2, Establishing Residency by Domicile, besides living continuously in Texas for 12 months, you need to fulfill ONE of the criteria in point 2, not all of them. This often causes confusion. Your year of living in Texas must be complete by the application deadline of October 1, and being gainfully employed during that year does not include on-campus work-study jobs.
https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/residency.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately, taking another (fourth) year off will not be a viable option for me :( I guess I will try my best at the MCAT and start working in Texas while trying to make my app as competitive and early as possible to have better chances as OOS.

Many secondaries in Texas allow you to describe any ties you have to Texas or their region within Texas. I grew up literally a stone's throw from Texas and went to a big university in Texas for undergrad and was able to get a few acceptances. My stats were pretty average as well. If you can explain well your ties, I would say you are in decent shape. Of course, you are facing tough odds applying OOS to Texas, but so is everybody else in that situation.

Thanks! Did you have many family members in Texas? If not, I guess attending undergrad there must have been your main tie to the state. I wish I could have done some sort of masters at one of the UT schools! Also, may I ask which state you are from? I'm wondering if TX has any affiliations to neighboring states and if maybe they classified you in their system as IS since you attended school there?

Texas schools like OOSers with high stats. That's basically all I know about OOSers who have been able to get in here. It's good advice for any school you plan to apply to, but do very well on the MCAT. Baylor is of course your best chance with the highest OOS %-age of any TX school.

Thank you! Do you have an idea of what OOS stats look like for matriculants to TX medical schools?

Thanks! Did you have many family members in Texas? If not, I guess attending undergrad there must have been your main tie to the state. I wish I could have done some sort of masters at one of the UT schools! Also, may I ask which state you are from? I'm wondering if TX has any affiliations to neighboring states and if maybe they classified you in their system as IS since you attended school there?
I will PM you. I try to stay vague on the general forums.

Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately, taking another (fourth) year off will not be a viable option for me :( I guess I will try my best at the MCAT and start working in Texas while trying to make my app as competitive and early as possible to have better chances as OOS.

Why would it not be a viable option? You want to apply with your best application the first time. This is a marathon, not a sprint. These schools aren't going anywhere.

Why would it not be a viable option? You want to apply with your best application the first time. This is a marathon, not a sprint. These schools aren't going anywhere.

I know, but the thing is, I already will have my best application in front of me by next year. I was told I didn't even need to take one gap year since I was competitive. But I took three years off and I can't afford to take any more gap years or lose more "physician income." My state school is about 13K more per year compared to TX in-state tuition, so I guess it's not too bad...I should have the funds to support an extra ~$53K over four years. It's not necessarily an age issue, but I would like to begin medical school in 2018 if I can. It's a long journey and I don't want to delay it any further because I know this is what I want to do. Going to medical school in Texas would be amazing, but I'm okay with going to another med school in a different state as well. And I can try again for residency apps. I just thought I'd post this thread to see if there's anything I can do to make me competitive as OOS, but I understand its like a lottery lol I'll try to get a top-notch MCAT score, and apply as early as I can. We'll see what happens :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, but the thing is, I already will have my best application in front of me by next year. I was told I didn't even need to take one gap year since I was competitive. But I took three years off and I can't afford to take any more gap years or lose more "physician income." My state school is about 13K more per year compared to TX in-state tuition, so I guess it's not too bad...I should have the funds to support an extra ~$53K over four years. It's not necessarily an age issue, but I would like to begin medical school in 2018 if I can. It's a long journey and I don't want to delay it any further because I know this is what I want to do. Going to medical school in Texas would be amazing, but I'm okay with going to another med school in a different state as well. And I can try again for residency apps. I just thought I'd post this thread to see if there's anything I can do to make me competitive as OOS, but I understand its like a lottery lol I'll try to get a top-notch MCAT score, and apply as early as I can. We'll see what happens :shrug:

But you see, that's the issue. You're saying you don't want to wait, that you need to go now so you don't lose potential salaries years down the road. But what happens if you aren't as competitive as you think and don't manage to get a spot? Then you've missed out on at least a year of attending salary and have become a reapplicant at those schools you had applied to. As for now you don't even have the MCAT taken, so you don't know how competitive you even are.

You say you don't want to delay the journey, but again it's not a race to get to the finish line. You want to make your application the best it can possibly be, whether that is 3 years after graduating or 4 or 10.

But you see, that's the issue. You're saying you don't want to wait, that you need to go now so you don't lose potential salaries years down the road. But what happens if you aren't as competitive as you think and don't manage to get a spot? Then you've missed out on at least a year of attending salary and have become a reapplicant at those schools you had applied to. As for now you don't even have the MCAT taken, so you don't know how competitive you even are.

You say you don't want to delay the journey, but again it's not a race to get to the finish line. You want to make your application the best it can possibly be, whether that is 3 years after graduating or 4 or 10.

I see what you're saying, and I understand that I can't really say I'm competitive until I have an MCAT in hand. Of course, I wouldn't apply if my score was bad; in such a scenario, I will re-evaluate my options. However, right now, I feel that I am competitive with every other part of my application (except the MCAT which I don't have). I have a 3.8, lots of research, lots of clinical experience, lots of service, good leadership, work experience, a fellowship, etc etc. If my MCAT turns out to be great, I really don't have to wait.

Anyway, I can't become a TX resident now...so my only option is to do the best I can, look at my overall competitiveness after getting the MCAT and decide then whether I am in a good position to apply. I do wish I had become a resident beforehand, but there's no point thinking that now. Maybe there are better things ahead :)

Any chance you can buy some real estate? It's cheap down here...

A few things:

1. Have a 90th percentile or higher MCAT (with your gpa)

2. Be applying from BYU. They love BYU applicants for their OOS spots. We had a higher applicant/acceptance ratio to Texas Tech this last cycle than we did to the UoU..... and everyone here applies to Texas so it's not like it's a small sample size..

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things:

2. Be applying from BYU. They love BYU applicants for there OOS spots. We had a higher applicant/acceptance ratio to Texas Tech this last cycle than we did to the UoU..... and everyone here applies to Texas so it's not like it's a small sample size..
Half of the OOS interviewees (3/6) at my Texas Tech interview last year were from BYU. Made me feel special being OOS and not from BYU hahaha

A few things:

2. Be applying from BYU. They love BYU applicants for their OOS spots. We had a higher applicant/acceptance ratio to Texas Tech this last cycle than we did to the UoU..... and everyone here applies to Texas so it's not like it's a small sample size..

Haha I can try to get the first one, but sadly, I'm not from BYU :( That's interesting to know though, guess Texas Tech really likes those grads

Haha I can try to get the first one, but sadly, I'm not from BYU :( That's interesting to know though, guess Texas Tech really likes those grads

It's not just tech, we have multiple acceptees to all of the Texas schools, even Baylor. I personally know 5 at San Antonio, 3 at SW, and 2 at Baylor. And that is most people I know. Our acceptance stats are heavily skewed towards Texas for some crazy reason.

But back to your question, I think with your GPA and a 513+ you have a decent shot as OOS in Texas. But nothing is a sure thing when you apply from OOS.

A few things:

What is up with that? Felt like everyone I met on the interview trail was from Utah

What is up with that? Felt like everyone I met on the interview trail was from Utah

Well for starters we have one state school that has some bizarre admissions practices so you get a lot of high stat applicants looking to go OOS. I know at BYU we honestly have a pretty large pool of exceptionally bright individuals, Ivy League status students who stayed at BYU because of the religious ties and super cheap tuition.

Then look at the social type of applicant the average BYU applicant is, because of the LDS religion you have a large number of: high stat, very bright, generally super hard working and motivated students who don't drink, are usually married, established and who the schools know will be great representatives of their schools.

Not to mention that the 2 year LDS mission is an extremely unique experience that provides great maturation, really teaches self discipline and when they come back many speak a foreign language fluently and know how to interact with people really well because that is all they did for 2 years.

And then we believe in being as educated as possible so a ton of mormons pursue education for as long as they can and that leads to a ton of people applying to med schools. We (BYU) also has a ton of dental, law, PhD, and other graduate degree seeking students. I actually think we are the largest provider of dental students in the nation. (For last year any way)

Reactions: 1 users