need some advice, for major!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickplot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok. so im going to be starting college soon, and i've always wanted to major in engineering, but from what i hear it is a bad idea to major in engineering if you want to go to med school because you also have to do all the pre reqs and it a bunch of time. I want to go to med school but im not 100% sure. So if I end up not going, I also want to be able to fall back on something, unlike if you major in Biology (for example) there isnt much if you dont end up going. Med school sounds great but im barely 17 im not sure if I want to be a doctor yet, what do i do?

and btw for all you engineering majors who ended up going to med school, how was that?

Members don't see this ad.

If you like engineering and that's what you want to major in, then don't hesitate. It is NOT true that engineering is a bad major for a premed. In fact, there is no such thing as bad major. The med schools like to see that you major in something that you enjoy. Also, you will have to take most of the prereqs because they are required for engineering (physics, chemistry). My major is not science related at all and I still managed to take all the reqiured science classes for med school and they count as general electives. So, just major in something that you enjoy.

i am going to medical school from engineering. i thought the same way as you: better to have a backup plan. the thing is, engineering is so much more than a backup. its a wonderful field in and of itself. if youre interested in learning engineering do it, you may find its a better fit for you than medicine (through volunteering and exposure to the medical field).

my advice: dont worry about whats hard, because if youre passionate youll do well.